Skip to main content
Topic: GM+Toyota= The future (Read 4298 times) previous topic - next topic

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #1
This is actually more of the same kind of collaborative effort the two companies have been up to for a couple of decades. GM and Toyota have built cars for one another and shared production costs/facilities before.

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #2
Why would Toyota do such a thing nowadays?  They're sitting pretty fat, while GM is definitely hurting.  If they wanted to make the move, now is the time.

I'm sure in times past, with Toyota being much smaller then, such partnerships were beneficial for both sides.  GM is hurting, Ford is hurting, Chrysler is all but dead and Toyota is growing.  If I were Toyota, I'd tell them to eat it and watch the others fail.  Buy up their assets for pennies on the dollar after they go under.

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #3
Sucks...but its greed and poor quality automobiles that brought them down.  I would imagine a Toyota backed GM vehicle would probably be an improvement.  I just hope they keep the RWD V8's around.  Ones thing for sure Toyota could learn a thing our two from American trucks...the Tundra is a joke if you ask me.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #4
Toyota and GM have been backing each other for years. Nothing will really chance. I'll bet a GM built by toyota if it wasn't well advertised would get worse gas miliage and break down alot, but a GM built toyota would never have any problems. There's alot of hype to it.

Look at reveiws for lexus compared to toyota. Same parts, but a lexus breaks down alot more. I wonder if it all has to do with the special glue that they put on to hold the lexus emblem over the toyota badge.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #5
Quote from: Haystack;240920
Toyota and GM have been backing each other for years. Nothing will really chance. I'll bet a GM built by toyota if it wasn't well advertised would get worse gas miliage and break down alot, but a GM built toyota would never have any problems. There's alot of hype to it.

Look at reveiws for lexus compared to toyota. Same parts, but a lexus breaks down alot more. I wonder if it all has to do with the special glue that they put on to hold the lexus emblem over the toyota badge.

What are you talking about? Lexus has been leading the pack in Vehicle Dependability Studies for as far back as I can remember. Their reliability is much higher than Toyota. The only year they didn't take first place in the last five was last year when they were tied with Buick.

Toyota has already expressed that their success depends on a healthy Domestic auto industry in the US. If any of the big three crash, that means a huge ripple effect throughout the US economy, which means a drastic economic slowdown in the market that's put them in the top spot. You can't sell a Prius to someone on welfare. They have every reason to help GM get back to strength. To Toyota, GM is too big to fail, and the buying power of their winning market depends on their rival's survival.

As for quality vehicles, Toyota has had its fair share of  over the last three or four years. Growing pains, I guess, but they've been hit by recalls and a class action suit over reliability recently (V6 engine sludge, Tundras eating their motors right off the lot, requiring a recall for possible engine replacement).

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #6
Toyota also had the problem with the truck frames rotting away. They had to buy back thousans of units at 150% of blue book value.

Also, if GM wanted fuel effiecient cars they'd make them. They have the Escalada hybrid which does 35+ mpg, a full size suv! Also, only like 15 percent of gm's revenue comes from auto's, they are huge into trains and other things. Weren't they considering closing the car industry like 20 years ago and the goverment begged them not to?

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #7
Toyota makes Ok cars but I say poopie on the Tundra...they basically tried to cover up their lack of ruggedness with a more powerful motor.  The frame twists so much that the bed hits the cab.  They must not have learned about having weak frames.
frame twist
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #8
Quote from: jpc647;240987
They have the Escalada hybrid which does 35+ mpg, a full size suv!

I assume by your "a full size SUV!" statement that you find 35 MPG in an Escalade unbelievable. Good thing, because it's untrue. Not even close. Try 20 MPG city. 21 Highway. Not exactly a Prius.

I'd read an article the other day in which GM denies asking Toyota for help, but ed if I can find the link.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #9
Someone defending GM?  Please.  I'm not on the GM Sucks bandwagon because this is a Ford site, but have you looked at GM cars lately?  shiznit, I'd rather have a Toyota over any GM offering any day.

Hah, I looked up 'Escalade Hybrid' and I realized that the 20/21 numbers are actually for the Hybrid, not the regular gasoline model...  Hey, at least it's only about $75k.

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #10
You don't like the post apocalyptic GM's? . They're finally making desirable cars again. And you're saying Toyotas have better looking designs? Wow. That's frigin' incredible. Every toyota looks like a bar of soap, with squished out headlights and hard plastic interiors. The new teaser image of the upcoming Prius shows some of the worst interior fitments I've seen in the industry. Teaser shot, not spy shot.

The best thing I've heard yet about the Escalade was the plan to move it to the Lambda platform. The thing is way bigger than it ever needed to be.

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #11
Here's what I got to say about both, you start with  you end up with :flame:
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

GM+Toyota= The future

Reply #12
Gm and toyota have been in bed for a while the matrix & the vibe are the same  vehicle.