Skip to main content
Topic: Interesting take on the 4 stroke motor... (Read 2903 times) previous topic - next topic

Interesting take on the 4 stroke motor...

Anybody else seen this?

http://www.new4stroke.com/

How it works?
This new concept eliminates the most complicated mechanism in the combustion engine: the head and valve train.
The idea is to replace the camshaft with a crankshaft and replace the valves with pistons. By doing this, the inventor, Andrew Feliks, created a new and very simple four stroke engine.

In this invention the piston with compressions rings slides in a cylinder which has a side port. A pair of these pistons and cylinders replaces the intake and exhaust valve.

As the prinl crankshaft rotates twice, the timing piston assembly crankshaft turns only once - similar to a camshaft in traditional teaming gear. The set of "pistons valves" doesn't have the disadvantages of traditional valves such as clearance tolerance. The lubrication system is not a problem - it is a normal engine turned "upside-down".

One of the most important advantages of the timing piston assembly is the fact that while the height of the head doesn't change, the intake volume of the engine increases, because the intake volume doesn't depend only on the main piston. The motion of the timing piston assembly increases the volume relationship of intake and exhaust "valve" pistons. This leads to a 20 to 50 percent increase in intake chamber volume.

Thoughts???
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
well..... it's a polish invention.... doesn't that say enough? :mullet:

seriously though, wouldn't it weigh a whole lot more? i'd think any advantage would be negated by that

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #2
Weight would be a negative factor.  I would think another would be top end lubrication.  Reading further into the website suggests that the prototype had an extremely high volumetric efficiency and did not require as much fuel. 

An animation:

--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
A billion dollar aftermarket industry dedicated to lightening and removing friction from the valvetrain would have a good laugh at that monstrosity. Can you imagine the extra inertial losses from swinging all that hardware around?

I think camshafts and poppet valves are here to stay, at least until electrically actuated valves appear...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
I think camshafts and poppet valves are here to stay, at least until electrically actuated valves appear...

Isn't that technology in it's infancy stages as we type?

Reply #5
It has been for decades. I remember daydreaming about such a setup in junior high school (mid 80's), and I remember reading about a prototype Ford engine running with electric valves in the early 90's (a 2.3, I do believe). I would guess that the only thing holding the technology back would be the fact that traditional camshafts and valves work so well.

On a related note, ever look into BMW's Valvetronic? There's a pretty neat setup...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣