Skip to main content
Topic: Will a T3 compressor wheel and housing fit on my IHI? (Read 1821 times) previous topic - next topic

Will a T3 compressor wheel and housing fit on my IHI?

I found a Garrett T3 turbo compressor wheel and housing for sale and was curious if it would fit on my IHI.

Reply #1
I think that would be a NO, just my opinion though.
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

Reply #2
Ok but the 83 - 86 Turbo Coupes had T3s right? So it could be used on one of those turbos right?

Reply #3
Yes it can be used on the T-3's from those years.
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

Reply #4
An IHI is an IHI, a T3 is a T3, theyre completely different turbos. You cant mix parts from them.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #5
Quote from: JoeNoble;200222
Ok but the 83 - 86 Turbo Coupes had T3s right? So it could be used on one of those turbos right?

But if you had one of those turbos, you wouldn't really need an extra compressor wheel and housing...

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #6
Yeah but I think this would be an upgrade even for the T3. I don't know what size the stock T3 is but this ones a 70 Trim.

Reply #8
70 TRIM ?

Are you sure you don't mean .70 A/R?

A 70 trim would be gigantic and it would never spool.

You especially do not want to be putting big compressor wheels onto an otherwise stock T3. Big compressor + stock turbine wheel = horrible lag and no power.

I don't know off the top of my head what TRIM the stock T3 is, but it's relatively small. .60 compressor, "stage I" turbine.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #10
Bigger isn't always better.  Getting a larger compressor with the same turbine means it will take forever to make any boost.  Like pumping up water wings vs. a raft with your lungs.  You'll get into some boost but not very fast.

Reply #11
Well, whatever it is, I wouldn't bother with it.

When you swap wheels, you have to have it rebalanced, which costs around $100 + shipping, and with something like that the performance return would be questionable.

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #12
Awesome! Thanks Guys! That's why I always try to ask someone on the forum before I buy something.