Skip to main content
Topic: 3g install **go directly to post 50 for drawing (Read 49041 times) previous topic - next topic

3g install **go directly to post 50 for drawing

Reply #46
Be careful which engines you look at.
I grabbed a 3G from a '90s Lincoln Continental with the 3.8 V6. It won't even come close to fitting in my 2.3 engine.
It just sits in my garage, now. I may have to throw it away.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #47
3.8 taurus's got a the 8" case, 3.0 cars had the 7" case..
One 88

Reply #50
this diagram came in handy thanks to everyone involved with making it possible :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #51
Well, installed a new 200 amp 3G alternator a couple days ago on my TC.  It was a bit different as the 2.3 is not in the car but a 5.0 and of course the majority of the wires are not the standard color code.  Anyway, I followed the 2.3 install diagram posted here as I still have the 2.3 wiring setup for my alternator.  At first I followed the 5.0 diagram and this proved to be wrong for my setup. 

The 2.3 install diagram was right on the money, got it all switched over and hooked up and everything worked perfectly.  Was running 14.4 to 14.6 at idle and around 13.8 to 14.0 under full load (everything was on, stero, amp, lights, fog lights, heater, windshield wipers, turn signal, dome light and other electronics I have hooked up).  The one thing I noticed was I was idling high around 1200 rpms, got to checking and found that the electric choke was hooked up to the "S" (Stator) side of the old regulator.  As the old regulator was not being used anymore no power was getting to the choke.  I spliced this wire into the "S" terminal on the 3G alternator and all was fine.

Well, yesterday on the way home from work the voltmeter in the car starting going nuts!!!!  It was reading 14.6, 15.2, 15.6, 15.9, 14.5, 13.4, 12.9, 14.2, 15.3, 15.7, 12.9, 12.4 and then settled at 12.2 and slowly dropped to 11.8 by the time I go home.  I checked all my connections and fuse and all was good.  Come to find out I got a faulty alternator so, send it back to DB Electrical and wait for a new one.

All in all, the 2.3 diagram is right on the money, one piece of advise would be to change (if it is hasn't been done yet) your ground wire on the body to a 4AWG or 2AWG wire may save you a lot of headache later on.  Also, the brown wire with the orange stripe is only 10 gauge, you may want to consider changing that to a 4AWG wire also, it also may save you a lot of headache later on.

Will post more later when I get the new alternator in and hooked up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1987 Turbo Coupe
LenTech Strip Terminator Valve Body AOD, 302 Stroker (cid 347) 10:1 Compresion
Ford Racing Cast 3.40 Crank Balanced, Pioneer Forged 5.4 Rods, Mahle Flat Top Pistons 4.40, Edelbrock Performer RPM Alluminum Heads
Ford Racing 220 Duration 500 Lift Cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold , Edelbrock 800 cfm Performer Carb
Flowtech Headers, KYB Adjustable Shocks, Dyna Max Exhaust
355 Posi Rearend

Reply #52
Scott can you put that picture back up with the diagram? (you removed it back in april?)If you don't have it I'll try and dig it up, I think its on my computer at home.

Kingcars was asking about it in his thread.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #53
I have to add some input to this thread - I just had my alternator covered under warranty again and the replacement has the same NAPA part number, BUT the lower bolt hole was smaller than my bolt. I had to enlarge the hole two drill sizes. This may come up for some people when doing the 3G install.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #54
im not sure whats up with that either,,,, your talking about the pivit bolt?

I had to inlarge one a couple years ago and I also got it from napa.
More recently the one for the 351,, same thing.  IMHO, I think its an interpertation on drawings that get incorrectly dospoogeented by a thousanth here or there.

Reply #55
I had that happen.I drilled it out,ran the bolt through with a nut and lock washer,done.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #56
What voltages do you guys see with the 3G? On start, this new one is giving me 15.05v where my old one that died gave me 14.7v on startup. The old one would actually settle down to 14.4-14.5v unlike the two prior warrantied ones that would creep up to 15v on long highway drives. The voltage wire going back into the alternator shows this same voltage so it isn't a voltage drop thing. Having a digital voltmeter in the dash that takes its reading from a 4awg central dash-fed wire, I see all the dips and spikes all the time.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #57
I ran across this kit while checking out PA Performances alternators..

http://www.pa-performance.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=75

Will this kit work on my 86? I am thinking of doing it this way so that if I ever sell the car I can swap it back real fast.
Motorsport FMIC, Boport 1.5, Boblee header, gutted upper, profiled lower, phenolic spacer, Accufab fpr, LA3, Boport stage 3 big valve head, 57 trim/stage III Perfromance Techniques custom turbo, stinger 3" DP and custom 3"exhaust, AEM wideband, custom aluminum carnk pulley, Merkur custom A/C setup, PA performance high output 3G alt, dual oil catcj cans, Motorsport Valve cover,full Motorcraft tune up kit, 22psi of LOCO!!

Reply #58
are the alts from a v6 mn12 bird or cat 3.8L usable on ours? as 3g upgrades?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #59
Will a 4 gauge wire work from the back of the altenator to starter solenoid instead of 6??? Also the 4 or 6 runs straight thru both correct? On the diagram for the 3,8 it looks like the wire gets smaller???
:ford::oldcougar::mercury: