Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8L V6 oil level sender leak (Read 962 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8L V6 oil level sender leak

The oil level sender on my 86 T-Bird 3.8L V6 is leaking. I don't really care if it works or not so I was thinking of just plugging the hole where the sender goes into. Does anyone know the size of the hole and the thread pitch? Has anyone eliminated their oil level sensor? How did you go about plugging the hole? I haven't really priced out a new level sensor yet. Maybe that would be just as cheap as trying to plug the hole. Any input appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD

Reply #1
When i got my sensor I think it was about 6 buck at AZ.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
I did this on an 86 2.3t motor I got from a yard. I just bought me an oil plug and put that in there. Found out later my 84 does have the light in the dash for LOW OIL so I could have used it.  Don't remember the thread size and pitch. That was like 8yrs ago. If it is just leaking why not just head to parts store and gove the the oil drain plugs/gaskets and find a new one that will fit your sensor.

Hope that help
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #3
Drain the oil, pull the sender, clean everything to like new, run a small bead of oil resistant rtv around the sender where the  meets the threads, reinstall. tighten down sparingly.  You're looking for the rtv to just become visible at the edges (remember to not use more than a 1/4 inch wide bead, preferably less).  If you put too much on you'll make a mess long before you get the sender tight enough (which doesn't have to be seriously tight). Remember to put oil back in.  Tube of RTV < $6.

Reply #4
I have already replaced the gasket which goes between the  and the oil pan. It looks to be leaking through the sensor at the wire. I will have to price an oil level sensor and investigate what threads are on the the sensor. My oil is due to be changed in a couple hundred miles so I will check it out when I change the oil and filter. I do keep an eye on my fluid  levels and such so I am not too worried about not having the sensor. Thanks for the input.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD