Skip to main content
Topic: AOD Trans Questions........ (Read 1640 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD Trans Questions........

It's been a while since I messed with an AOD.........

It's an 83 Cat with a 5.0 and the AOD.    Column Shift, and about 120k on the AOD.

The car doesn't seem to go into the P position completely.    Meaning, that it does slightly go into park, but if on an incline, it will pop out of P and roll.    This happens weather the car is running or not.

Also, when driving at highway speed, before the trans will kick into OD,  I have to lift my foot off the pedal, then it kicks it into OD and all is well.

Other than this, the AOD behaves quite well and has no issues. 

It's done this for a little while now and I'm finally trying to figure it out.    Does this sound like just a TV Cable Adjustment?

Fluid/Filter were changed about 800 miles ago, pretty routine service.    Nothing smelled/appeared burnt.    Everything looked in good shape from that point of veiw.    The AOD behaved this way before the fluid/filter change too.

PNRD21 indicators (instrument panel) do not line up.  (can't imagine this would be relative to the AOD issue however)

Any thoughts folks?
To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

]Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply #1
Quote from: zane;220869
PNRD21 indicators (instrument panel) do not line up.  (can't imagine this would be relative to the AOD issue however)
Any thoughts folks?

That's a dead give away... Adj the manual(selector) linkage, will fix your inability to fully engage park as well...

Likely the O/D problem is the TV cable/linkage adj...

good advice

Reply #2
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;220873
That's a dead give away... Adj the manual(selector) linkage, will fix your inability to fully engage park as well...

should fix it.

Reply #3
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and see what happens!
To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

]Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply #4
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;220873

X3
I've had the same problems since I started driving my car only a few times a year. Things tend to get a little out of whack if they start to rust and don't move freely. I just had free up mine again 2 days ago.

You just need a little adjusting to get the selector to match up
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
just to add, if and when you do line up the selector linkage and your indicators still dont match up the plastic ring that holds the indicator to the steering colum may have broke.
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/troubleshooting/indicator.html
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #6
Quote from: zane;220869
PNRD21 indicators (instrument panel) do not line up.

PNRD21 is this an AOD selector? Shouldn't it be PNRDD1?

Reply #7
Quote from: softtouch;221027
PNRD21 is this an AOD selector? Shouldn't it be PNRDD1?

No it's: PRN"DD1
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.