Skip to main content
Topic: Looking at buying a '97 Anniversary Edition (Read 1597 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking at buying a '97 Anniversary Edition

Hey guys! Long time, no talk. :)

So, as the subject line says, I'm looking at a '97 Anniversary Edition that's for sale locally.

I can get a good feel for it's mechanical condition, but what goodies did the Anniversary Edition come with, that I should look for?
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

Reply #1
Ed , Check with Royce because he owns an '97 anniversary cougar he brought to CJ 07. :poke:

Dan & Paula ;)

Reply #2
I would check CoolCats.net, they might have something ...hint hint
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #3
Somehow I knew I needed to go there.. :)

Thanks for the link!

I've been shopping for a clean low mileage '97 for a good price for a while and they've been pretty hard to come by. Usually they're either thousands of miles away or they've got one of those stupid vinyl roofs on them (yuck!).

A nice maroon one finally came available nearby, but now I'm wondering if I should wait longer, for the one I really want - performance white or opallescent white. Hmm.

Why is it that production numbers aren't available, anyway?

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

Reply #4
Quote from: 1FSTCAT;345624
Why is it that production numbers aren't available, anyway?

My guess would be the strike at the Lorain, OH, plant and some of the cars being built in Michigan.

I did find a opallescent white 30th here, a few months ago, for $2500. 295,000 miles on the clock turned me off from it VERY quickly.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #5
What happened to the blue one??? Is it a gold or burgundy one? That's pretty much the determining factor for me, I'm a sucker for Burg:hick:

edit, just read the rest of the thread, lol. I'm not a fan of opalescent. My 96 LSC got old quick with.
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

Reply #7
Quote from: Mercoug302;345675
What happened to the blue one??? Is it a gold or burgundy one? That's pretty much the determining factor for me, I'm a sucker for Burg:hick:

edit, just read the rest of the thread, lol. I'm not a fan of opalescent. My 96 LSC got old quick with.

The blue MN12 that we had was sold shortly before the divorce, about 5 years ago. It was technically the ex-wife's and I put her in something cheaper since she was out of work again. I always missed that car, so I've had a standing search on Ebay for about a year now. This one popped up super close to home and it's a cherry example with 53k miles on it. The owner was super buttstuff and had the transmission fluid changed twice already. He kept very detailed maintenance records.

They had it listed for $5999. I sent them an email telling them I'd "come and get it today if they'd sell it to me for $4000". He countered at $4200 and we made a deal! I totally didn't expect them to come down almost 30% from their listed price!

--Ed

Reply #8
Glad to see you're back in the MN12 game, Ed. I still love mine after 6.5 years. Ad was removed from site; post up the options it has?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Options

Reply #9
Umm.. It has automatic headlights, factory power moonroof, automatic climate control, decklid spoiler.

The only thing I know it doesn't have is heated seats. Were there other options?

Reply #10
Heated seats were not an option on the '97s. (If it was...I would have gotten 'em!)

I'm at work right now...but off the top of my head, a couple of other option one could order included:
  • "Premium" sound system with CD player (cassette was standard)
  • Engine block heater (a $45 option I could not bring myself to order for where I live...)

There were actually a LOT of options, as in '97 much of what we would consider "standard" equipment now still had to ordered "extra." I'll try to scrounge up some of my paperwork after school today.

EDIT: Here's a link to a .pdf of the '97 Brochure. You can heck out the available equipment page for what was standard or optional.

http://www.wingedmessenger.net/Brochures/97cougar.pdf

Reply #11
We've had very few problems with ours... it needs new springs, ball joints, etc.  Other than that, no engine issues and no mechanical issues... it is 13 years old so the springs and such aren't a big surprise.  The only other thing that we had a problem with was the rocker panels rusting out.
Our son did the body work on it for us and it still needs painted.
I am actually very happy with it... it's very comfortable to drive and we've taken it to Maryland several times and took it to Kentucky once. We never had a break down or were stranded anywhere.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #12
Quote from: 1FSTCAT;345624

A nice maroon one finally came available nearby, but now I'm wondering if I should wait longer, for the one I really want - performance white or opallescent white. Hmm.

I love the pearl white opalescent. My '94 Thunderbird was that color. When the sun shines on it after a good wash and wax it's a really nice color.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII