Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel tank level sending unit (Read 12188 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Fuel tank level sending unit

Reply #15
Well, , can we make a deal?  :deal:  :D

Reply #16
just for correctness, this is a '86 cougar, 5.0 v8 with a electronic (digital) dash.  if this is correct, pm me with your full name and address, with a credit card # and experation date and full card name, and i will order one and have it drop shipped to you, for $100.00 including shipping.......
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #17
Are you talking about the fuel pump bracket or the gauge sending unit? I was able to get a pump bracket but was told that the sending unit is unavailable. I was told this by the dealership and by the place I get my aftermarket parts.

I can't see anyone giving out their credit card info, but if you could post a part # he could order his own...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #18
ok, i'll bite.  what is a fuel pump bracket on a fuel pump and sending unit mounted in the tank??? :giggle:  or better yet, is it to cold up north for any of the ford dealers to look up or sell parts?  if i was ya'll, i think i would find me another dealer or contact for parts....
oh, mine is THE sending unit...

Reply #19
Not quite sure what you're asking here, but when you go to a parts store and ask for a sending unit they will open up their parts locator program and then ask you "which one"? And show you a picture of the tank with two sending units - the large one that is the fuel pump bracket (and still available) and the small one that is the gauge sender (that, according to their parts program, is  discontinued). They are both referred to as "Sending Units". Now this may be different for an '86, but for my '88 the small (gauge) sending unit was unavailable. The large (fuel) sending unit was $114 Canadian.

If you can still get the small sending unit I'd buy one on the spot - I did manage to repair mine by bead blasting and soldering the holes in the rusted out top, but I'd feel more comfortable with a new one. Mine is an '88 T-Bird with the buttstuffogue fuel gauge. A part number that I could present to the Ford dealer would be greatly appreciated if you can get one...

Actually, on second thought, I think I now see the source of the confusion. According to Mitchell OnDemand (which has been wrong on occasion, of corse) the pre-87 models used only one sending unit on the right side of the tank (under the "home plate" hump in the trunk floor), with the fuel pump and gauge sender attached. The 87-88 uses two. The pump is on the right side of the tank, the gauge sender is on the left.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #20
you are correct on one part, the sending unit for buttstuffOG guages IS discontinued, however, the one for a electronic (digital) dash is NOT.  but , all birds/cat from 85-88 used seperate sending units/fuel pumps.  earlier cfi  cars & later 89-up cars used 1 piece pump-senders in tank.... :D

Reply #21
Ahh, ok... good to know. Still, it's odd that they would discontinue the buttstuffogue sender when that's the more common one (all base, sport and TC clusters have an buttstuffogue fuel gauge while only the relatively uncommon full digital cluster has a dogital one)...

I still may get a digital sender then - the electronic part on mine is fine, it's the metal plate at the top that is rusted out. Got a part number? If so I'll make this a sticky :D

Reply #22
-e5ly-9275-b-

Reply #23
Well, I just ordered that part and it is valid for a sending unit, so I will let you guys know tomorrow what the deal is!

Thanks again for doing the research for us shorangerbird. It helps when somebody knows what the hell they are talking about!

BTW, it was 110.82 +tax from the Ford parts dealer. :deal:

Reply #24
-that's affirmitive, that is SRP, whatever price i gave you was wholesale, which is what we sell them for....

Reply #25
Now this thread is stickyworthy, but I'm gonna move it to another section :D

Reply #26
If I am interpreting the '84 EVTSM correctly, using the wrong sending unit will make the gauge read backwards.
On the buttstuffog sender the resistance increases as the tank empties.
On the digital sender the resistance decreases as the tank empties.

Don't know if this applies to the newer models.

Reply #27
You are correct. It applies to all 83-88 T-Birds and Cougars

Reply #28
Well I picked up the part today and immediately checked the resistance on it. My fears were confirmed: 14 ohms empty, 160 full. It is a unit for a 87-88 car. Very pretty and very useless to me. Anybody want it? $100. :mad:

shorangerbird, what do you suggest?

Reply #29
-well i'm no electronic expert by any means,  however, i have double checked myself, and even went to microfische and they all state the same...86-88 birds and cougars use e5ly.9275.b. it is the same unit used on 85-92 mark 7s with digital dash and 85-87 linc contenintals.
now were you to actually have a '85 or a 86 with a 85 tank and unit ,  the 85s were a year unto their own. it was a one year offering that is different than all others.  of course the are discontinued.  however,armyguy, mohr ford in plainfield, in. shows to have on in stock.  part# is e5sz.9275.e.  you might want to call them and see if they still have it and maybe would take it out in the shop and have a tech check the resistance on it if that seems to be the problem.  and on you existing one, if you don have :crazy: for parts people up there, you should be able to return that one for a refund, as they can send it back to ford on a 30 day return.  however i did say if.  hopefully, you know them well.  hope this helps... :sorry: