Skip to main content
Topic: Layout, Colors, Fonts, etc. (Read 3590 times) previous topic - next topic

Layout, Colors, Fonts, etc.

OK, I think I have the appropriately dismal colors back. :) Been thinking about maybe upgrading the buttons and stuff later on.

Does anyone have suggestions or comments as to the layout colors, font colors, font face, etc.? We went through this a few years ago with the old board, and EZ was not really as flexible with making changes, just basic stuff really, so I did the best I could. Here we can do just about anything. Would anyone object to, say, a dark colored layout with lighter colored text? Or do you like the grey/blue scheme?

Basically I just want to get a feel for what YOU'D like to see when viewing the board. Keep in mind that not everyone will share your opinion. But I feel if enough people are saying the same thing, we should act upon it. Right now this board is barely removed from the stock configuration, so it looks like every other VBulletin board (coughcoughcougarnutscoughcough). And you know how much we hate to have things stock. ;) If you want one of us chief mechanics to tinker under the hood, so to speak, let us know here.

Re: Layout, Colors, Fonts, etc.

Reply #1
i know alota people hate maddox, but i like his idea with simple font face, and dark back ground. it makes a site like this (all reading) much easyer on the eyes rather then stairing at a bright white page.

Reply #2
Quote from: Manson
i know alota people hate maddox, but i like his idea with simple font face, and dark back ground. it makes a site like this (all reading) much easyer on the eyes rather then stairing at a bright white page.

Especially with late night posting.

Reply #3
I like light text on dark backgrounds, but some people say they can't read that.

Perhaps pick an XR7 two-tone paint combination and try to mimic it?

Reply #4
Yep, light text on dark background.  It'll help to visually confirm which board (this one or cougarnuts) I'm on.  In the UserCP there's an optional pulldown with different "Themes" so if some users dislike the dark background they can do it like BK and have it thier way.

Reply #5
Eric, I think I'll leave the layout up to you. You're the graphic designer here, after all :D One only need look as far as my website to see how much I suck at layout and design...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
Cool. I think we have to physically subscribe to/upload different themes that users can choose...have to look into that. But for the default, at least, it seems like something should be setting this board apart. A dark theme is always spiffy. :)

Reply #7
Any way to get a serif type font to read?  I know lots of people will probably disagree with me, but I find it easier to read.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #8
Hate to go against the grain here but I have not liked the dark backgrounds on just about every website I've been to with one.  It "cheapens" the site, IMHO.  The only types of sites dark or black seems to work on are sites set up with sort of a mysterious or artsy, theatrical theme, and even then, it has to be done right by someone (like Eric) that knows what the hell they are doing.

Lighter colors, to me, lend to a more cleaner, professional appearance that is also easier to look at and read.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #9
K, as Brian said, you can now have it your way.

Go to your user control panel (User CP) and click on Edit Options. At the very bottom you have your choice of themes now.

Default - White background, grey and blue header bars
Serif - just like 'Default' but with serif fonts
Gunmetal - Dark grey background, light grey/blue text
Midnight - Black background, light grey/blue text

Any other requests, let me know here or send a PM.

Reply #10
how about directly inverting the colors of the default, so you have a dark blue backround, and gray fonts and stuff?

wait...you jsut said send a PM didnt you?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
[Lois Griffin] ME LIKEY GUNMETAL! ME LIKEY GUNMETAL! [/Lois Griffin]
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #12
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
[Lois Griffin] ME LIKEY GUNMETAL! ME LIKEY GUNMETAL! [/Lois Griffin]

ROFLMAO i always loved it when they brought up her past carrier in the circuis

Reply #13
Quote from: EricCoolCats
And you know how much we hate to have things stock. ;)

STOCK IS COOL

Reply #14
Ooo.  Serif is nice.  Thanks.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]