Skip to main content
Topic: Canadian fellows ordering parts (Read 918 times) previous topic - next topic

Canadian fellows ordering parts

hi all i was wondering if any of you actually ordered parts fom jegs or summit and how much did it cost you  is it overpriced or still worth it
i need a pair of shocks and struts and dont  wanna pay 100$ in shipping only...

Reply #1
Check arround at performance shops in your area first. When our $ was high I bought alot of stuff out of the US and even with shipping and border charges it still was cheaper. But small stuff i would look in Canada first.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #2
A good Canadian speed shop can be within 10-15% of Summit's US pricing. The kicker with ordering through Summit, for example, is that UPS will ding you at least $45 brokerage fees no matter what the value of your order.
I concur with the last post that when the CAD was low, it was well worth going state side, but not right now.
Hope this helps,
Cam
Camertbird
1986 Thunderbird élan
Best ET 14.62 @ 94.20 mph
306ci HO, full length 1 5/8” headers w/2.5” dual Flowmaster exhaust, 8.8” Turbo Coupe rear axle, 3.73 gears, AOD transmission w/Bowman Electronics shift kit, B&M ProStick shifter, 16x8 American Racing wheels on 225/50 R16 tires, Mach 1 hood scoop

Reply #3
The Canadian and US dollars are for all intents and purposes par right now (the difference is 3 or 4 cents). Your big expense is going to be brokerage if they ship with UPS or FedEX. I believe Summit offers post office shipping as well, which only has a $5 brokerage fee, and that's only if you get randomly selected to pay sales tax. UPS only charges the brokerage fee on items with taxes due as well, but they assign taxes to everything worth more than $20CAD, and they charge at least $45 to collect those taxes (so if you buy something that has, say, $2 taxes due they'll charge you $45 to collect that $2, plus the $45 is taxed as well).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
well yea thats alot of money just in fees  thanx for replying guys  this has helped

Reply #5
Someone arround there should be able to get you the parts you need at a resonable price.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout: