Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel Economy Study (Ethanol blends versus std. gasoline) (Read 8888 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel Economy Study (Ethanol blends versus std. gasoline)

Reply #30
Quote from: Haystack;250619
I think ethanol is the worst idea you could come up with. You get less power, less gas mileage, and it cost the same as regular gas. Really your paying for less. Just because it burns cleaner doesn't mean you should use it. I was the dumb ass grinning at the pump every time it hit above $60. Gas is cheap now, but it will go up again. I got really pissed off when it went up by 6 cents. Everyone at work just said "its better then $4.30 a gallon". I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The less people use gas, the more it is going to cost. I don't know realistically why gas actually dropped in price since I started driving, but it won't last long. They know we'll pay $4 or more a gallon. So there gonna get back up to it. The more alcohol they put in it, the more you pay.

Actually, Hydrogen is the worst idea, since it costs even more, makes even less power, and it takes more energy to produce than it yields. Hydrogen as a fuel will always run at a loss, so long as physics stays the same, and I don't think there have been any amendments to those laws in quite some time.

Alcohol fuels are a very good alternative to petroleum fuels. The costs may be higher than super-cheap gas, but it's a resource that will NEVER run out, and can be produced anywhere in the world with arable land, from pretty much every living thing on our planet, not just food stocks, as so many Ethanol haters love to claim.

How about this one. Hemp derived Ethanol. The crops grow at an alarming rate, with a high yield, heavy fibre stock that requires little to no maintenance. And before you call me a hippie, know that there are strains of hemp that do not produce a THC laced bud.

And you seem to miss the concept of supply and demand. The less we burn, the less we pay, until the supply is cut back, then prices go back to their previous level. Supply up + Demand down = Costs down. Why do you think prices just plummeted? Because we cut back our consumption severely. Americans drove 11M miles fewer on Thanksgiving weekend alone compared to last year. Just like the cost of used trucks and SUVs have gone through the floor, an oversupply mixed with little to no demand made them painfully cheap.

Fuel Economy Study (Ethanol blends versus std. gasoline)

Reply #31
We have a plant here in the SE US that can be used to make ethanol and the stuff ain't even native to the States...

I made the mistake of planting it on a ditch bank, in a couple months it had about taken over the entire side lawn, like to never got it killed...

http://chemicallygreen.com/kudzu-ethanol/