Skip to main content
Topic: Type 6 (86+ 5.0) Poly Motor Mounts (Read 14795 times) previous topic - next topic

Type 6 (86+ 5.0) Poly Motor Mounts

Reply #75
So, what is the interest in some of the 5.0 and 86-88TC mounts?

I am going to be needing new motor mounts (5.0) but it might be late summer or into fall...
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #77
I need some 5.0 motor mounts. I'm not spending another $80 per side to have them break.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #78
Ok, I am ordering parts for the following mounts this coming week:

Type 2 - 86-88 TC
Type 6 - 86-97 5.0
Type 8 - 86-97 3.8

Usual deal, they will be $175/shipped in the US

If you are interested and want to confirm an order, email me. (cwarren@indy.net).
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #79
I'm gonna be waiting on my w-2's...:(
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #80
These most likely won't be ready to roll until Feb at the earliest.  I don't know how long my laser cutter will take to get caught up after they were closed for the holidays.

Reply #81
Well in that last post I meant laser cutter, not powdercoater (as I'm my powdercoater).

Speaking of that, I'm thinking I'm going to powdercoat this batch to see how it goes.  I've been unimpressed with my plater the past couple times.

What does that mean?  Well my stock colors are black or grey, but I might consider custom colors (1 step only...no 2 step) for an extra $20/set.

Reply #82
OK, well my laser cutter was running about a week behind, but I'll have parts in my hands next week and will be able to start welding. 

Only have 1 confirmed order for some of the 5.0 mounts.

Reply #83
Parts in hand tomorrow.  Welding to commence this week.

Reply #84
Just going to add, these are nice mounts. The hard bushings are more like hard plastic than rubber though (they are rubbery but I can't seem to much much of a dent in them than I can with the softer ones) - good thing I got 2 other pairs (spares) of the "softer" ones to use. Just a heads up for anyone ordering.

As for how they both absorb vibrations, no idea. I put the "soft" ones in and haven't looked back. I think I feel slightly more engine vibration than the stock hydraulics, but nothing really noticeable.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #85
The bushings are polyurethane, not rubber ;)

The stiff are a 70A.  The current soft ones are a 70A/45A combo.  They are being replaced with a 70A/55A combo from this point onward though.

The vibrations all depend on the engine really. Each one is a bit different.  Also, what one person finds "acceptable", the next would find "unbearable".

Reply #86
Got the first few coated this morning.

Reply #87
Quote from: Chuck W;254417
The bushings are polyurethane, not rubber ;)

Same difference. It's solid and flexible.

What was the issue with the plater?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #88
A couple things.

One, they aren't too good with their quality control and I get some mediocre-looking parts from them.  I used to get great stuff from them, but I think they are cutting corners these days.

Two, they have a minimum which with my smaller batches I rarely meet any more, and thus am paying quite a bit more than I should.

This allows me to keep things more fluid, control the quality, and be better able to keep small quantities of product on hand.

got mine!

Reply #89
Look at the nice surprise I got in the mail today!  :D :D

Looks like I won't have to worry about bustin' any more motor mounts.  Thanks Chuck! :bowdown:  They look great, can't wait to put them into use with my new 5.0 HO.

'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube