Skip to main content
Topic: Soooo.... What kind of Fuel pump do you guys run? (Read 1917 times) previous topic - next topic

Soooo.... What kind of Fuel pump do you guys run?

Ok, since the '88 T-bird use a unique fuel pump size, and they are bigger in diameter, what kind of High flow fuel pump are you guys running, and how do you have it installed?

Right now I am running a 155LPH Holley stang pump, but it isn't mounted the way I think it should be.  (works fine, but I'm not happy with the install.)

Thnaks for any input.:birdsmily:

Reply #1
On my '88 TC I ran a Walbro 255
GT40p 5.0 w/ vortech @ 9.5psi, 400rwhp

Reply #2
Actualy I have a 155lph stang pump and it was the exact size of the one that came out.  (it was probably not stock as i replaced the pump at 240k miles.)
One 88

Reply #3
Using a walbro gss340 255lph high pressure.

Reply #4
BBK 255HP in-tank (made by Walbro). I'm also not happy at ALL with it. The 42#'s and SC50 will run it DRY. Next time around I'm going with an out-of-tank BG with fuel sink on a "serious" set-up. For Layla (now that I'm forced to keep her stock-ish) I'm going to modify the TC "cage" with a Rustang one so the pump fits right (and I can use the Mustang sock) and add a Kenne-Bell Boost-a-pump in the line.

Reply #5
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;123675
BBK 255HP in-tank (made by Walbro). I'm also not happy at ALL with it. The 42#'s and SC50 will run it DRY.

is it a high pressure version? i wouldnt imagine a 255HP havin any issues with that setup :dunno:

thats what im using, BTW walbro 255HP. mustang application w/tbird sock.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #7
Ok what the hell?

My Tbird pump (stock 5.0L set up) is like twice the diameter as the stang one, so it doesn't sit in the rubber Isolator like it should.  Does the Turbo coupe use the same set up as a Stang.  If so can I just get a Turbo Coupe pick up and install my Holley Pump, and call it done right.

Reply #8
The TC pickup is the same but the hard rubber piece at the bottom is different.
When i had my 88 5.0L i had to modifiy the hard rubber piece by installing slit rubber hose pieces around my walbro 155lph,it worked but again not the greatest install.
On my 87 TC the hard rubber was different,it was the same size as my walbro,so it fit perfectly,no problems thus far.
All you have to do to is either swap the hard rubber pump holders or just swap to a TC complete unit.

Reply #9
Quote from: gumby;123679
is it a high pressure version? i wouldnt imagine a 255HP havin any issues with that setup :dunno:

thats what im using, BTW walbro 255HP. mustang application w/tbird sock.

The way a Stang pump sits in the TC carrier, especially while using a 20 year old TC sock, is not correct and the pump will "come out" of the fuel at less then 1/3 tank while cornering or accelerating and cavitate wildly. I think it's contributing to a lot of the madness TC guys face when they start going fast and have boost sputter issues. I can watch my fuel pressure gauge swing like crazy, it sucks. 4LPH=1GPH (~) so a 255 pump is only pumping 64GPH which is not much. Figure when you turn the pressure up, the rating goes down, plus it's a return-style system so the pump can only go at ~85% max output and you can see how overworked one can be really quickly.

Reply #10
Hang on,i got a problem with that.
The bird/cougar tanks have a poor design with no baffles, so the fuel sloshes when you accelerate or hard or corner.
Even with the stock pump and sock i had these problems in both my birds,the sock has nothing to do with it.it's the tank design.
Tanks these days have a baffle around the fuel pump area so that when cornering or accelerating fuel will always stay around the pump.
The other thing is, is if you get a gss340 and not the gss307 you can turn the pressure up to i believe around 85psi with no volume loss,That's why supercharged and turbo guy's alike use the 340 not the 307.
Alot of people just hear 255lph and don't know that there is a regular pressure and high pressure version.
I use a mustang sock on mine with the gss340 and the only time i ever experience any loss of pressure is below 1/4 tank under hard accel(this is due to again,no tank baffles)so i know when i get that low it's time to fuel up.
It's also easier on the pump to be immersed in fuel,it makes it run cooler.
Now running a supercharged 5.0L with around 400-450hp in my car and my fp at 50psi vac off with 42lb injectors,my air fuel is at a solid 11.2-11.5 under wot at 6000rpm with 11psi of boost with no volume lost.
Add another 11psi to my fp that's 61psi under wot throttle and i have no fp loss.
Unless your running over 550-600hp a gss 340 will provide plenty of fuel pressure and volume,after that you need to go with an out of tank pump like an aeromotive 1000 or such.

Reply #11
Few questions here...maybe you guys can help me.

(1) Where will I get GSS340 or GSS307 fuel pump?

(2)Is GSS fuel pump inlet off center like OEM T Bird / Cougar pump?

(3)If the inlet is center, can I still use T Bird / Cougar sock?

I'm not looking for all out racing application. It is just a daily driver and occassional blast down 1/4 mile. I do have Mustang 255 pump but I'm not too crazy about using it because the inlet is center not offset like OEM pump.

On other hand....I'm thinking of using Mustang tank in T Bird / Cougar body with few modifications. I know that top of Mustang tank isn't flat like T Bird / Cougar tank but I have an idea that may work.
Has anybody try to use Mustang tank before?

Reply #12
Dominator,
My pump is the 340 and I agree that tank baffles would solve a lot of the problems. Unfortunately, you can't really add those in. Also, you're only running 11 psi of boost on a 50 psi base pressure. Try running 30 psi of boost on top of 48-50 psi of base pressure. I personally think that ANYTHING over 20 psi in a TC is just nuts. The way to really do it right (and the blown V8 guys seem to agree) is to sump the tank and run a "proper" external pump with a made for high-pressure filter (Raycor style) with bigger lines to and from the rail. Bigger rails and injectors are a given along with a real regulator. That's the setup a SC50 at 30 psi really needs to survive and make max power. Of course, that's also hideously expensive. I feel that modding the TC cage to hold the 340 as low as possible with a new Stang sock is only barely adequate even for a stockish (say intercooled T3) set-up. Most of those guys even run a Kirban or Aeromotive AFPR and 42#s or better. I think the simple and cheap KB Boost-a-Pump will do wonders to help a combo like that, like I said, a 255 only pushes 64 gallons per hour. Running on 91 octane, that's not that much for a high-HP engine. 85 gph seems to be the normal "minimum" for 400HP plus engines. I've seen some nasty lean spikes on my car, even on a full tank, that point to that conclusion as well.

Reply #13
This place has pump kits that might work: http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

I'm going to order a 155 l/phr pump from them for my HO swap. I hope it fits ok:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #14
Understand what you are saying,and yes if you have the cash and you never want to have to mess with the fuel system again then your way would be the best.
However for most of us on here(that are broke) and most stang guys i've seen pushing anywhere form 400-600hp the gss 340 seems to be quite adeqate.
I am one of those 5.0L HO H/C/I supercharger kind of guys.
I also have an innovate wideband,anderson pms and a kirban adj regulator.
I have never had a lean spike and like i said above, i'm running between 400-450 crank hp right now with 11-11.5 air fuel.
Plans for running 14psi and meth injection are also coming this summer(now with the meth injection i do understand it eases the pressure on the fuel system,but i would not hesitate to say that my fuel pump will handle the 14psi and near 500hp.