Skip to main content
Topic: Brought home an LX parts car today, or did I? (Read 8567 times) previous topic - next topic

Brought home an LX parts car today, or did I?

Reply #15
i really almost want to drive out and come get this car from you.  it's like a nicer, nicer, nicer version of my 87 red Tbird

Reply #16
Quote from: 50RACER;466459
I think the interior on that one  is a dark blue?
One thing I forgot to mention prior about the car I just brought home, since it has the digital gauge cluster, I couldn't get the mileage until I put in a battery. It only has 73,000 mile on it! There was also a warranty packet in the car for an apparent Jasper transmission replacement at some point.

The interior on that car is dark blue? Is that car tu-tone blue or tu-tone silver over gray?

My car is tu-tone silver over gray with a smoke (light gray) interior.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #17
Fuel pump huh? May as well step up to a 255 or 190 for future upgrades, lol. I think you stumbled across a nice car once you get the bugs worked out. Following your progress.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #18
Quote from: 50RACER;466457
Notice how long the two tone cars been sitting? :) The black car with the turbo coupe style interior  does show as a sport according to the vin.

Tried to start the car today. No go. Pretty sure its a fuel pump issue. Fires if you give it a little starting fluid and fuel barely trickles out of the pressure fitting at all if at all, most times none. Have I mentioned that I hate changing a fuel pump?

It could even be that rubber hose in the fuel tank is split or rotted from age. Mine split, and it caused the same issue, just a dribble at the schrader valve. That's not a whole lot of comfort though, you still have to drop the tank and pull the pump to fix it. And you might as well replace/upgrade the pump while you are in there. Because I didn't, and the pump went out like 10k miles later, lol.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #19
It could even be that rubber hose in the fuel tank is split or rotted from age. Mine split, and it caused the same issue, just a dribble at the schrader valve. That's not a whole lot of comfort though, you still have to drop the tank and pull the pump to fix it. And you might as well replace/upgrade the pump while you are in there. Because I didn't, and the pump went out like 10k miles later, lol.

Ugh ... that's what mine did ... new fuel pump with less than 4K miles on it and then the internal fuel tank hose splits on me.

Reply #20
As someone else said, that looks much better than a parts car.  If you paid a parts car price, then you made out great!  Did it come with a title?  It's a good looking car.  I had an '87 Sport for parts, and snagged a few things interior-wise out of it before sping it, and it had a red interior.  I think I only have the door panels and some interior panels, and maybe the back seat.  That's just in case you need any of those.  Good find!

Reply #21
I should have viewed all the pics before my last post, and saw that you had gray interior.  My Sport was black with red interior, and it had the buttstuffog gauge cluster.  I do have an extra TC/Sport wheel that's in better shape than that one, but I don't think it's leather-wrapped.

So you could get a Sport with the full digital dash?  That is what I saw on your car, right?

Reply #22
So you keeping this one?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #23
Quote from: thunderjet302;466446
I think you have an 87 Sport, not an LX. The car has blacked out trim. LX would have chrome trim, Turbo Coupe door panels, and different seats.

Either way [COLOR="#FF0000"]too nice to part[/COLOR] and, being an 87 Sport, one of the rarer late Fox Birds.

Yea, keep in mind the car is 31 yrs old!  Amazing condition.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #24
Not sure yet just what I am gonna do with it? I want to get it running first and then decide from there. I'll probably drop the tank this weekend and see what's up with the fuel pump. Once I get it running, I need to diagnose whatever is the miss issue that it had that resulted in it's being parked. Even the spare in it has never seen use. All the trunk linings look nearly perfect.

Fordman3, yes it does have the digital dash. The other Sport in this collection that I am getting is black with red interior like the Turbo Coupes and it has the buttstuffog dash. And yes, it did come with a title.

It also appears that the transmission was replaced at some point. It had a packet in the door map pocket with Jasper warranty info.

Reply #25
Quote from: rodsterh;466479
Yea, keep in mind the car is 31 yrs old!  Amazing condition.

Every time I get into my Thunderbird it feels/looks not any different than getting in my 2 year old Accord. Then where I see other 83-88 cars for sale I realize that my car is an exception, not the rule.

Reply #26
Quote from: 50RACER;466480
Not sure yet just what I am gonna do with it? I want to get it running first and then decide from there. I'll probably drop the tank this weekend and see what's up with the fuel pump. Once I get it running, I need to diagnose whatever is the miss issue that it had that resulted in it's being parked. Even the spare in it has never seen use. All the trunk linings look nearly perfect.

Fordman3, yes it does have the digital dash. The other Sport in this collection that I am getting is black with red interior like the Turbo Coupes and it has the buttstuffog dash. And yes, it did come with a title.

It also appears that the transmission was replaced at some point. It had a packet in the door map pocket with Jasper warranty info.

If I were you I would try and drain the tank as well. Then new pump/rubber fuel line/pump filter ("sock)/fuel filter. As far as the miss goes change out the spark plugs/wires, distributor cap, and rotor before trying to figure out what it is. All those parts are old and could be contributing.

After you're done crate the car up and ship it to me :).

Reply #27
Quote from: thunderjet302;466484
If I were you I would try and drain the tank as well. Then new pump/rubber fuel line/pump filter ("sock)/fuel filter. As far as the miss goes change out the spark plugs/wires, distributor cap, and rotor before trying to figure out what it is. All those parts are old and could be contributing.

After you're done crate the car up and ship it to me :).

Well, I did buy a battery for it today, just so I wouldn't have to keep switching the one out of my turbo coupe. That battery gives up pretty quickly cranking the v8. And hey! Just about everything I have can be bought for the right amount!  :)

Reply #28
Quote from: 50RACER;466486
Well, I did buy a battery for it today, just so I wouldn't have to keep switching the one out of my turbo coupe. That battery gives up pretty quickly cranking the v8. And hey! Just about everything I have can be bought for the right amount!  :)

Shipping might be expensive.....

I'd love another one of these cars, but have a twofold problem. First I literally have no where to put another car. Second I barely have time (between work and other commitments) for the one I already have. I don't get to drive it nearly as much as I would like. A second one would make it worse. Plus, from a driving perspective, my car is so far removed from a stock one that I'm not sure how much fun a stock Fox would be.

Reply #29
Quote from: 50RACER;466441
XXX

WOW!!! Looks like I'm looking at my car back when it was stock inside and out. My parents bought the bird I have now back in 87 from Battlefield Ford in Manassas. If you don't mind me asking what did pay for the car? You can pm if your willing to divulge the price.

Donnie
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va