Skip to main content
Topic: Brand new member - looking for advice on an upcoming purchase. (Read 7237 times) previous topic - next topic

Brand new member - looking for advice on an upcoming purchase.

Reply #15
It should be fine. I could dd mine but I live in the salt belt, so no dice.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
Quote from: thunderjet302;462787
It should be fine. I could dd mine but I live in the salt belt, so no dice.

That's awesome, it really is.  My last 80's car required a full and complete build before being deemed "dependable".

Tim
2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - For now!

Reply #17
Welcome to the forum.  I had a 87 XR-7 for about 2 years, and i will tell you to run your hands under the inside trunk area below the back window.  All fox Birds and Cats are known for collecting gunk in the rear windshield channels and you can get rust in the trunk area.  Pull the spare tire out too and feel the trunk matte for wetness or a mildew smell.  Keep us posted on your purchase.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #18
I've been daily driving these cars for 14 years. My last one had 350k miles, original engine and tranny. Can't take credit for all of it though, i bought it at 290k miles or so. My current car is a 1986 tbird. I bought it at 131k miles in January and its sitting at 154k miles right now. Have a 200 mile drive planned in it tomorrow.

For the aod, make sure the tv cable bushing is good, sometimes the radiator trans copper fittings leak, but they are a $5-10 thing at any auto parts store.

You can daily these cars, i do pizza delivery in mine right now. You will have issues though. It's a 30 year old car and the parts are now starting to get scarce. Most common wear items are still available and there is a ton of parts compatibility between a bunch of other newer cars. You'll want a back up car incase issues come up, but they can be daily driven.

My car has needed tires, and ignition switch and recently my seat back broke on the drivers chair. But I am really, really hard on my cars. I might do 20 or more deliveries a day, constantly getting in and out of the car, sometimes driving on dirt roads and randomly i drive up to 1000k miles a week freeway in addition to that
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #19
Welcome to the forum. Check out Kansas City Craigslist 1985  Thunderbird , no rust.

Reply #20
Quote from: fila571;462794
Welcome to the forum. Check out Kansas City Craigslist 1985  Thunderbird , no rust.

I saw your car, and looked VERY carefully at it.  It's still on my list, however, to be honest, I'm really after a car that I can HO-convert and 5 speed swap.  Not saying your car couldn't have that accomplished, however, the lack of the floor console makes that a bit trickier.  This was the issue I ran into with the 30th Anniversary Thunderbirds.  None had floor shift that I found, and I found a bunch of them.  Same with the 20th Anniversary Cougars. 

Don't think for a minute that I don't think you have a great car.  Especially being in the book and all.  Because you DO have a great car. 

Tim

Reply #21
Quote from: Haystack;462790
I've been daily driving these cars for 14 years. My last one had 350k miles, original engine and tranny. Can't take credit for all of it though, i bought it at 290k miles or so. My current car is a 1986 tbird. I bought it at 131k miles in January and its sitting at 154k miles right now. Have a 200 mile drive planned in it tomorrow.

For the aod, make sure the tv cable bushing is good, sometimes the radiator trans copper fittings leak, but they are a $5-10 thing at any auto parts store.

You can daily these cars, i do pizza delivery in mine right now. You will have issues though. It's a 30 year old car and the parts are now starting to get scarce. Most common wear items are still available and there is a ton of parts compatibility between a bunch of other newer cars. You'll want a back up car incase issues come up, but they can be daily driven.

My car has needed tires, and ignition switch and recently my seat back broke on the drivers chair. But I am really, really hard on my cars. I might do 20 or more deliveries a day, constantly getting in and out of the car, sometimes driving on dirt roads and randomly i drive up to 1000k miles a week freeway in addition to that

Wow!  That's an awesome testimonial there.  I do have other cars, so I am not terribly worried about the occasional "it needs parts" thing happening.  I'm usually pretty proactive, and downright meticulous about maintenance......my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee has 354,000 miles on it, and still runs perfect.

Sounds like I shouldn't have a lot of trouble with a 70 mile highway commute.

Tim

Reply #22
Quote from: Zorin;462796
I saw your car, and looked VERY carefully at it.  It's still on my list, however, to be honest, I'm really after a car that I can HO-convert and 5 speed swap.  Not saying your car couldn't have that accomplished, however, the lack of the floor console makes that a bit trickier.  This was the issue I ran into with the 30th Anniversary Thunderbirds.  None had floor shift that I found, and I found a bunch of them.  Same with the 20th Anniversary Cougars. 

Don't think for a minute that I don't think you have a great car.  Especially being in the book and all.  Because you DO have a great car. 

Tim

No floor shift, no biggie ;)

X
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #23
Quote from: Cougar5.0;462799
No floor shift, no biggie ;)

X

I said "a bit trickier" not impossible!  HAHAHAHAH!

Nice ride, by the way!

Tim

Reply #24
Quote from: Zorin;462800
I said "a bit trickier" not impossible!  HAHAHAHAH!

Nice ride, by the way!

Tim

Yeah, it took some planning and I still have to be careful not to crash the console on the seat into the shifter "console" (I cut down a larger one.)
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #25
You can just replace the consolette with a full console. I did it on my Thunderbird (but kept the column shifter). It's really easy. The hard part is finding a full length console.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #26
Good luck with search. Worst that happens , I keep another fifteen years and leave it to my daughter. She loves it already.  I will watch for a console car.

Reply #27
I could DD mine no problem.  I Just drive in good weather though.
Mike

Reply #28
I might have a spare console or two stashed away, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Reply #29
Well, it's set up. 

Sunday is the day.  We shall figure out then if I will become a full fledged member of this group.

It's a 3.5 hour drive, hopefully, it's not just for Kansas City BBQ.

Tim