Skip to main content
Topic: Where did street racing go? (Read 5727 times) previous topic - next topic

Where did street racing go?

Reply #30
Quote from: DVP;265656
Because the car community has no movies being made targeted toward them anymore.

Unfortunately this is true. Whatever happened to movies like Vanishing Point, Deadline Auto Theft, Junkman, etc.?

Reply #31
And when they do make one, they destroy a whole bunch of classic irreplaceable cars :(
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #32
Quote from: Cougar5.0;265690
And when they do make one, they destroy a whole bunch of classic irreplaceable cars :(

That, to me, is the worst part. Did anyone follow the one of the Challengers from 2 Fast 2 Furious being restored to new on Musclecar on the Spike channel? Its nice to see one of these cars get a new lease on life. Movie makers are not always car guys, they don't know on car from another there is evidence in this in Transformers when she opens the hood on the ratty Camaro and says something about a "Double pumper carb" when it is clearly EFI. They don't care destroying classic iron, this is really quite sad. Hopefully our cars never become movie screen fodder because that will mean some more are going to die.

Reply #33
Hopefully our cars never become movie screen fodder because that will mean some more are going to die.

That'll never happen. Our cars aren't part of the "in" crowd yet....
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #34
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;265696

That actually works to our advantage. But you need to remember There is a 74ish Gran Torino in F&F and they aren't exactly a mainstream car either, It starts somewhere.

Reply #35
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;265696

Hey, they wrecked an 87-88 Cougar in Transformers :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #36
se on F&F they have guys that choose the cars.  and they're usually one of the guys that knows the best cars to honestly get to make the car looking good (the skyline that guy that monitors police scanners in the first one... it luckily found an "easy" roll so to speak.  but the guys wrecking the cars, the directors, they're the one to blame about the shagers destroying a valuable car only figering it into the budget, as a loss, or expenditure.  they're the ones that dont respect the cars.  they order a stunt/car with a huge ramp... we know ramps shag the cars over (a miata with only 3 wheels touching the ground?!?!?!)...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #37
Lets face it car movies, although we love them, destroy extremely rare and expensive cars for 2 hours of entertainment. Once those cars are destroyed we cannot get them back. Apparently a Cougar died in Transformers, THAT is the other side of our cars not being "mainstream", people from the production company wants a cheap car that "No one will miss". It is a real shame.

Reply #38
THAT is the other side of our cars not being "mainstream", people from the production company wants a cheap car that "No one will miss". It is a real shame

I misss it....:hick:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #39
Woah, Woah, Woah......I have only seen 2 pieces of really extremely rare American Iron get destroyed for the sake of TV/Movies. That was a 1987 Buick GNX in a Stephen Segal movie from the late 80's and it was not rare then and a Hemi Charger R/T in Bullit that was brand new........ Just like the TV show Dukes of Hazard, there were 640 Chargers sacrificed to the Orange General Lee....some big block, some Hemi, some slant six. In 1980 the charger was a menace to society just like all Muscle Cars and could be had for the rock bottom price of $1000. The rest of what you guys call really rare pieces were just plane jane cars. Why do you think places like Year One support these movies....???
The movie companies buy reproduction pieces to make these plane jane cars look like real iron. That Challanger on Muscle car was originally a 318-2 barrel car...like all the cheap commuter cars you love like the 3.8 Cougar LX or a Mustang 4 popper....they can all be made into a "really rare piece of American Muscle" with reproduction parts.

What you guys are seeing is the effect of time on a certain market...these films outlive the cars by sometimes, decades.

Just watch Vanishing Point and tell me thats a Challanger at the end...or Christine and let me know thats a SS Camaro......or Two Lane Blacktop and tell me that's not Falfa's '55 210 from American Grafitti......It's all hollywood smoke and mirrors. What you should be crying about is the death of another perfectly good parts car so "YOU" can build "YOUR" dream car.
I would have to say Hollywood is not the problem...it's the guys that buy cars to destroy them...Train Races, Demo Derbies, The EPA and California....they buy a perfectly good parts car and destroy it just for the sake of a few bucks!!!

My $.02.............. I've spent enough time on the soap box.

Reply #40
face it, barret-jackson has built the new american muscle bandwagon.  we've all seen 70 cudas go for millions of dollars.

also, i've never ridden in any of these plain jane muscle cars like they were when they were new.  so it makes me like to experience that, although i never will.. b/c every one of them will be destroyed mad max style.  that adds to "rarity points."  they're not a dime a dozen either...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)