Skip to main content
Topic: Basic Requirements for a 351W swap into a V6 Cougar (Read 2971 times) previous topic - next topic

Basic Requirements for a 351W swap into a V6 Cougar

Hey guys,
Well, I just recently inquired about what I thought was a 400 from an '82 E250 van.  Turns out (duh), the motor is a 351W (1982 code G).  Of course it's carbed (2bbl/4bbl?), and the mileage is relatively low.  If he didn' want too much for it, is this a motor worth going after?  Is there anything about it coming from a van that would cause any concern?  I don't care about carb vs. EFI right now.  My 3.8 is going to need some $$ spent on it to fix a coolant leak (head gasket or freeze plug) anyway.  If the price was right, and it wasn't too difficult to drop in, what am I in for?  How about my AOD?  I'd want to keep it.  Accessory drives, brackets, cooling, suspension mods, exhaust...  Somebody please lay it on me.  I might could get this motor real cheap; this person has a 1951 customized Chevy Bel-Air he asked me to help him sell on Ebay, and he might look kindly on me if I sold it for him.  I don't even care if it's a "hot" motor or just a run-of-the-mill 351W, it's a 351W.  I can always build it later.  Thanks for the help.

Fordman3

Re: Basic Requirements for a 351W swap into a V6 Cougar

Reply #1
What year is your V6 Cougar?

Reply #2
It's an '84.  Will that make a difference in this situation?  I know if I were looking at installing an EFI 5.0 that my car is set up totally wrong under the hood (battery, air intake, overflow bottle, etc.).  I'd just assume that I'd keep the 351W carbed, just a no-frills, down and dirty installation, for right now.  Just ditch the computer.  Will 5.0 motor mounts work?  Will a 5.0 bellhousing fit the 351W?  How hard will it be to run headers or just exhaust in general?  From some other threads I've read, do I need to make sure it's got the rear sump oil pan?  Will I need to change the front springs?  I'm really kinda psyching myself up about this motor.  When I thought it was a 400, I really didn't think there was any way I could practically use it.  Then when I dig a little deeper and found out it was a 351W, I almost flipped.  Does anybody know the difference in an "H" code 351W and a "G" code 351W?  The "H" I thought always stood for a 2bbl version, so is a "G" a 4bbl?  I've only seen the motor once from a distance, so I couldn't tell.  I know in 1969 a "G" code motor was a Boss 302!  Anyway, thanks again for any assistance. 

Fordman3

Reply #3
OK, mind you, this is all stuff sort of from memory of all the past discussions about this.. and right now memory is an issue. (long story) If I am grievously in error, someone more knowledgable can correct me. But here goes:

Engine compartment layout: Favorable.
Motor mounts: I think so.. but I forgot what change(s) needed to be made when going from V6 to V8, if any.
Bellhousing: Yep. Think I remember something about needing a different flywheel, tho.
Exhaust: Still fuzzy on that one, myself.
Oil pan: Yep, rear sump.
Front springs: Probably a good idea to change.. but I don't remember if you *need* to.
Codes: No idea.

According to CoolCats, '84 was the first year for CFI. If this is accurate, you'll need to do some reading up on CFI to carb conversion. Here's a couple links for you:

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/tbi_conversion.html
http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/efi-carb/cfi-carb.htm

Again, sorry if any of this is inaccurate. My mind is a little messed up tonight. It's an unofficial side effect of what I appear to have. (in other words, a lot of people with it report concentration problems.. some from reactions to medications, some from sugary and/or starchy foods.. of which I've had a ton of both today.. but I have not seen it mentioned yet as an official symptom)

Reply #4
If you're gonna run a carb it makes no real difference how the engine compartment is configured.  Problems will include, exaust system, I would not even think of installing a 351 without headers and a good 2 1/2" dual exaust system. Using new components figure $500-$600. At the least you'll need something larger than the soda straw system on the 3.8. If you're on a tight buget, maybe you could find some used Stang stuff and keep the exaust manifolds now on the engine. Probably will need a double hump crossmember for the dual setup.

Next up is gonna be the motor mounts, since its a '84 a trip to the auto parts store will fix that(have to be for a 5.0).

Flexplate... Will need one for whatever tranny (AOD, C4, etc) and the 351. May just want to get the transmission as well, but be prepared to change or modify some linkage(and maybe drive shaft, but hopefully it will be the correct length).

Fuel pump(assuming carbed), you'll need to ditch the intank setup and install a std pickup. BUT It is also possible to add a regulator to the EFI fuel system.

The CFI throttle linkage(cable)may work as is, but possibly will need some tweeking.

Get the front accesory brackets and the P/S pump, none of the 3.8 stuff(except alt) is gonna fit the 351.

Radiator... unless yours is fairly new plan on a HD 5.0 unit, as I doubt the stocker will cool a 351 in the Summer.

Oil Pan... must be double sump...

Wiring... will need to connect the Dura Spark in place of the TFI system. Get some extra wiring and coil from the van if possible.

Rearend... after you crunch the 7.5", plan on a 8.8" from a Turbo Coupe..

I'm sure I probably forgot something, but that will get you a plan started...

Reply #5
Fuel pump(assuming carbed), you'll need to ditch the intank setup and install a std pickup. BUT It is also possible to add a regulator to the EFI fuel system.

84 should be a double pump system, and i believe one of the pumps would proved the proper carb fuel pressure
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
Well as for 351 fitting it fits fine and u can use 5L mounts.

Now the tranny is a bit of a prob, tranny it self will bolt on with no probs but the flex plate will need to be looked at,  If u get 351 plate with the motor there is a 50% chance that aod convter might fit the holes on it,  But if not then TCI sells a flex plate thats much better then stock and for a early 351 to a AOD the cost is under 100 bucks and then u have no probs,  Headers mac sells shorts that fit a 351 into a fox,

shifter should be switched to the floor and u can do this very easy

Reply #7
Hey fordman3 If your interested i have a mildly built 351w that you might be interested in.(If you havent grabbed that other one) Let me know if you are interested.

Reply #8
Do our cars have hood clearence issues like the mustangs?

Reply #9
I would hazard a guess and say that a scoop or a cowl hood may have to be used. Unless ua use a tube K-member, not 100% sure though...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #10
I'm using a griggs k-member with energy suspension motor mounts and a edelbrock victor jr intake (tall intake) and i have plenty of room between the hood and the 90 deg elbow for the efi stuff (victor jr is modified for fuel injection, like the spyder intake that chp sells).

Aaron