Skip to main content
Topic: 85 Cougar V6 - excessive oil pressure problem (Read 1027 times) previous topic - next topic

85 Cougar V6 - excessive oil pressure problem

My 1985 Cougar V6, when started, it blows the oil filter gasket.  Do you know what would cause this?  Any suggestions as to a fix or repair would be appreciated.  The engine has 60K miles and ran great until this problem developed.

Reply #1
Maybe the oil feed into the filter itself is partially clogged causing a pressure spike?:dunno:  Have you hooked an actual guage to the car to see what your pressure actually is?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
maybe lots of piston slap, but I doubt it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
someone put one of those ubber super oil pumps on it.
One 88

Reply #4
And you've already checked to make sure you don't have two gaskets in there (one on the new filter, one still stuck to the engine)?
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #5
Thanks for the input. 

Is there a pressure relief valve for the oil pump/oil filter?  The engine is totally stock with 60K miles.  Don't have dual gaskets at the oil filter.  If the oil feed is plugged, wouldn't I have less pressure to the filter rather than having it blow by the oil filter gasket?

Reply #6
the oil pump relief spring is bad/restricted/has trash in it. either way it is time for a new oil pump.

I went through this a few years ago on a 5.0 it would blow the fliter in two pieces.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #7
Well i have a question that is similair to the object at hand. I got an oil leak coming from the seal just above where my oilfilter turns into, if i were to repalce this, would it be a pain in teh ass?
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

Reply #8
nobody knows?
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout: