Skip to main content
Topic: Let the questioning begin! (Read 12207 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Let the questioning begin!

Reply #15
Up to 3 ! I found an actual photo of the h-pipe and intergrated it into the previous photo for reference purposes. Also did a lil' bit of leg work on the crown vic idea (god bless firefox's tabbed browsing and cable modems!!). In comparison to lengths the crown vic is longer than our cars, so pipe's and such ought to work. Also they did put 5.0's into those cars, so i think the question revolves around the routing of piping and such and mounting points. Anywho here's the revised pic:

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151&stc=1
Exhaust_Setup.jpg
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #16
high flow cat may still exist somewhere.
Well, I've got a Walker 15606 on mine, which is apparently the same as a 50500?
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #17
Quote from: Cougar8775
ok what about the 2 down pipes on the crown vic? with the cats already on them. would they actually fit? and would they be better hp wise? cuz they look like they would fit on the 5.0.

My dad has a 91 crownvic station wagon with the 5.0
If you need a pic of the exhaust I could get one.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #18
I'm thinking that the Crown Vic ones are different.  I could look at mine, but it's tough to tell with it on the car.  I'm thinking they'd be spread out too wide.  Plus, they're designed for manifolds, not headers.

Reply #19
Quote from: Haystack
My dad has a 91 crownvic station wagon with the 5.0
If you need a pic of the exhaust I could get one.

That would prolly help for visualization sakes, though I didn't check on the length of the station wagon version of the crown vic. But I guess as long as it's a dual exhaust setup go for it. And masterblaster, what model mustang did you bring up to get that pic? That's a walker exhaust diag. right, I couldn't find that on there page, and i couldn't find the 15606 model just the 50500 one. Is yours a high flow, if so was it only made for certain years?

Reply #20
I have the bbk mustang h-pipe. no cats. with bbk headers. it all fits perfect. then i used the flow master American thunder kit for the mustang. all i had to do is weld in some pipe into the tail pipe. sanded the weld. looks good. all parts are for i think the 1985-1993 stang. It all bolted up perfect. the h-pipe was a pain to bolt up. but other then that it all went well.

:barf:
1963 Lincoln Continental Cov. 455ci
1984 Thunderbird Elan 232ci 3.8L Super Coupe "in swap stage"
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 280CI 4.6DOHC V8
                        :birdsmily:

Reply #21
Only thing is, this guy has to have Cats.

Reply #22
good point. the location of the cats on the stang pipe if i am not mistaking is directly next to the trans. on my set up there is plenty of room on the left and the right. yo could prob gust order it with cats. but i dont have a clue because i have never ordered it.

:barf:
1963 Lincoln Continental Cov. 455ci
1984 Thunderbird Elan 232ci 3.8L Super Coupe "in swap stage"
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 280CI 4.6DOHC V8
                        :birdsmily:

Reply #23
And masterblaster, what model mustang did you bring up to get that pic?
Pretty much any Mustang will do.
I used my pic's title (Mustang_86-88_all_ex_GT_pre-0588) to search on Walker's site, and their current pic is exactly the same EXCEPT all 15606 references are gone. I assume they made a couple of tweaks to create the "new" version, then used up all the "old" stock (likely at a discount) then removed the refs. Maybe rotated the O2 bung 1/16", redesigned the heat shields to fall off sooner, or something like that.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #24
So i talked to my mechanic today and asked him about the Monte Carlo tailpipe theory. According to him the bends for the pipes are propriatary and would most likely not work. I personally am skeptical and intend to dig a bit deeper into the idea. I think my next step is going to entail a trip to a parts store and see if they have a pipe each from a mustang and monte carlo that i could use to do a comparison. I'll either do that tonight or tommorow and post what i find out afterwards.

Reply #25
I don't know if this helps but I have a 1989 Crown Victoria that I recently transplanted my Cougar's 5.0 SO, manifolds, and y pipe into. I only did this because the exhaust ont the LTD was rotted out(smog tubes and cats).  The y pipe is good on the sides of the transmission bellhousing and starter but dips down way towards the ground after the cat, where it would bolt up to the second y pipe before the lers.

I would think the true dual cat pipes from the Crown Victoria would have clearance problems with our floor pans or "frame" rails.

Reply #27
bump?

Reply #28
Still looking for input, would like to see this followed through! (so others can use as reference late since search works!)!

Reply #29
Looks like it may work except for the bend on the right pipe ad the end. The pipes on my car are straigh on both sides.