Skip to main content
Topic: Oil leak, 3.8 tbird (Read 1911 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil leak, 3.8 tbird

I've got a pretty good oil leak coming from the front of the motor.  It's running down the lower coolant hose and getting blown everywhere, causing a lot of smoke.  It's not a huge deal, The oil doesn't leak out that quickly, but I'd like to get it fixed.  Do I need to replace the timing cover gasket?  Is there anything else that can leak in that area?
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Re: Oil leak, 3.8 tbird

Reply #1
i had a simular prob with my 88. did u look at the oil filter and all that. is it leaking off the filter at all? but check the oil pan gasket and how far up the motor the oil goes and u can tell from how far up it is if its a valve  cover leak or a oil pan gasket leak.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #2
I know it's not the filter, Just replaced it and made sure it was sealed well, It may be the pan gasket, but the oil goes up pretty far on the motor.  There is no way it's the valve cover gaskets, both are new.  My last idea was the timing cover.

Reply #3
Oh, another thing it might be is the Distributor O-ring, or even less likely, an intake gasket.

Reply #4
intake would not be a bad guess there dood nor would the dizzy o-ring.  its a  if it would be the timing cover gasket but you might as well buy a gear set and a water pump while your in there.

btw,, if you have not pulled this cover off before, for your own sake read up on how to do it first.  there will one allen head screw that you cant see in the lower pass side of the timing cover.  if you dont get that out, your gonna break something when you decide its time for the pry bar.

haynes manual specifically points it out by the use of a photo as well as a pictorial layout of the qty of screws involved in the task. 

also,, for your sake,, be gentle on the water pump bolts.  there a a few in there (lowest one) that are very very long but partially threaded.  they are slinder and if you muscle them off, they will break off in the engine block.

Reply #5
my 3.8 t-bird has the exact same type of leak your describing. it could also be the front main seal, i'll probably end up replacing it sometime this summer

Reply #6
Mine leaks oil too...
Not another fiasco like the headgaskets is it?  :hick:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #7
Wow, someone dug up an old thread.  I've since had the front leaks fixed.  It was the dampner seal and sending unit.  Now the rear main is starting to trickle.  With the high mileage, I'm just waiting for it to start burning.