Skip to main content
Topic: Power steering problems (Read 1553 times) previous topic - next topic

Power steering problems

Just put a new rack in and bled  it(or so I thought) and then a quick alignment. On the way home it was  like I had a leak the steering got hard. Checked the level when I pulled  in and it was empty checked it a bit later and it was about half full.  Its almost like its not flowing thru. Anyone have any ideas?

Power steering problems

Reply #1
This thread is a good read for power steering installation:

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?30351-Steering-Racks-and-Power-Steering-Pumps

Is your pump whining now?  If so it will need to be replaced as once they start doing this I have never seen a way to make them stop.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Power steering problems

Reply #2
Well pump whine isnt my issue. I found out my instructor instructed me wrong on how to bleed the power steering system. Did it right this morning its not as bad as it was, but after a drive it still acts as if its low on fluid. Get home and it is, check it about an hour later and its at a perfect level. So the pumps pumping, but it doesnt seem like its returning right. Whats g me off is that it was fine before I switched out the rack that was leaking, but not overly bad. I really need to get this figured out

Power steering problems

Reply #3
Well somethings really going on.  Just went and it checked out agian to see if I can figure out whats  causing the issues. The bellow boots are full. I also pulled the old  rack back out to verify that it was the sport rack and it is, 2 1/2 lock  to lock. When I was checking out the old one, I noticed that the fluid  coming out was full of metal filings.

I do have fluid coming out  of the return on the new rack to, I pulled the line to check. Really  could use idea or thoughts here!

Is there a way to check which pump is in the car, Im wondering if its the standard rack pump. The original racks leak was around and at the bellow boots.

Power steering problems

Reply #4
Now that sucks man.  Sorry to hear that as I have been there with my Bird and it pissed me off beyond all doubt.  My solution to any rack replacement when there are metal shavings involved it to revamp the whole system. Probably the last thing you wanted to hear but its what I do and it works really well.  Typically when you have a rack full of metal shavings they have gotten into the high and low pressure lines as well as the pump.  I would suggest you take the rack back and have it warrantied, go to another parts store and get a new pump (cheap and they will loan you the tool to remove and install the pulley), and wash out the high and low pressure lines with solvent.  This will ensure you do not have any metal shavings floating around and all components are in working shape.  From there I would just follow what I posted in the thread that I listed above and you should come out with really good results.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Power steering problems

Reply #5
Yep thats the plan now, especially since on the way home after I had it put together the pump got starved for fluid. I know thats never good for them. Picking up the pump and rack today and will be swapping it out agian and re-aligning it Monday. Guess its really turning out to be a good thing I decided to go back to school for auto tech, otherwise the alignments would be killing my wallet!!!!

Power steering problems

Reply #6
Used the warranty on the new rack and got another one. The guy at the parts store agreed that something was up with it. Also picked up a new pump. Installed it all yesturday and its good to go. Even got rid of the pump whine in the process, so Im a very happy camper. I forgot how touchy a good sport rack was, since Ive been driving pickups for the last few years!!