Skip to main content
Topic: Different GLOSS BLACK in spray can TESTING (Read 1162 times) previous topic - next topic

Different GLOSS BLACK in spray can TESTING

I am sure many of you have found the outcome of using spray cans can be like winning the lottery or getting tricked because the can lid didn't match the outcome.
below is a 7 type product test to satisfy your purchase and eliminate the wondering of "did I get what I paid for".
I decided to target high , medium and low cost paints to test.

Here is a gathering of 7 different cans all with different applications.
This also illustrates ONE SINGLE COAT of paint so keep that in mind as well.
The test surface was a s part of clear plastic.
I found it ironic that when I flipped the clear plastic over to view the unpainted side,,,, 100% of all paints appeared equal and mirror like in finish.... that may be useful information as well if your intent is to paint the opposite side of a surface, then they all are perfectly fine.

The second part of this test is to see which one stands up to simple green cleaner and hold its color and gloss.
By the way,, #1 and #2 rankings should be more closely described as TWO #1's, they both acted and look the same generally speaking.

Reply #4
Reflectivity can be modified in many ways and is one of the least important aspects I find. What I found is that some blacks appear browner or lighter gray than others. Others have chemical interactions with the materials they are sprayed on. In some cases, it can be almost impossible to remove the bad paint. When re-spraying the interior of tail light lenses, the browner paints don't match and look terrible. Others cause cracking of the plastic after a couple months.

Can you compare the darkness of each paint?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #5
The best aerosol I've personally used is designed for commercial vehicles. Blows every other spray paint I've used out of the water.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=T7iEVO7AKqj7sATw-ILwCg&url=http://www.greatdanetrailers.com/dospoogeents/10162/d2958071-9d4a-4170-ab8c-31f9fdeb6543&ved=0CCoQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEAxKsenCY0ah0o15mQzc4MrDpx1g&sig2=c57iO9FC3gQiU7-nhww1MQ

It is made by Great Dane, you can find it at certain semi dealerships.
...and there was light!