Skip to main content
Topic: (New Goodies)Need Your Opinion on Headlight Color!(Lots of Pics) (Read 33593 times) previous topic - next topic

(New Goodies)Need Your Opinion on Headlight Color!(Lots of Pics)

Working on some headlights and can't decide what color to paint the shroud that goes around the light. Here it is mocked into place, all of the pieces are clear with protective film on them.

I am leaning towards an aluminum/silver color or maybe some kind of satin/flat/gloss black.
...and there was light!

Reply #1
i think black would give it a nice touch.. then again, painting it the same color as the housing would look pretty good too.. i was reading your thread over on nato, i like what i see so far.. but the marker lights really look out of place, now that you have it sitting on the car lol
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #2
Quote from: Shadow;381263
i think black would give it a nice touch.. then again, painting it the same color as the housing would look pretty good too.. i was reading your thread over on nato, i like what i see so far.. but the marker lights really look out of place, now that you have it sitting on the car lol

Thanks! The marker lights will also be redone with clear lenses, after the headlights are finished.

I like the idea of black, but I am not sure it will work well on a light blue car.
...and there was light!

Reply #3
that's what i was just thinking as i looked at the pics again.. the light itself would look good with the black, but once you put it on the car, it may look out of place

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #4
Looks good but looks like it's missing something when looking from the side imo. Maybe another light on the bottom right and how about the shroud being a darker blue?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
Quote from: FirstBird;381274
Looks good but looks like it's missing something when looking from the side imo. Maybe another light on the bottom right and how about the shroud being a darker blue?

It would be nice to put a little something in there, and that might happen in the future, but for right now I don't want to make this any more complex than it already is. :P I had thought about color matching it to the paint but I am kind of scared of blue. Virginia has a fairly strict policy on no blue or red lights anywhere on the front of the vehicle. I would be nervous of the blue paint even coming close to looking like a blue light and drawing more unwanted attention from our friendly law enforcement. I might be a little over cautious but who knows.
...and there was light!

Reply #6
The red area is the area that I want to paint, just in case my post wasn't clear.

...and there was light!

Reply #7
Ohh I thought you were talking about the chrome ring around the light, well i think a gloss black would look good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
here's a quick PS I attempted to do for to give you an idea what blue would look like:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #9
not liking the blue.. i'd go with a silver or 'aluminum'

Reply #10
Gun metal grey.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
The lights haven't been aimed or even completely bolted in yet. Here is some night shots of only the passenger side headlight being lit up to make sure I got all of the wiring right! :P

Low Beam.

High Beam.

Painted Shroud being mocked into place.
...and there was light!

Reply #12
Holy daylight!

Reply #13
Quote from: Shadow;381429
Holy daylight!

You couldn't have beaten the grin off my face when they fired up! :D
...and there was light!

Reply #14
i bet! that's very impressive from such a small light