Skip to main content
Topic: fuel sending unit needed (Read 1689 times) previous topic - next topic

fuel sending unit needed

Hey guys and gals I need a fuel sending unit from the tank of an 87 or 88 car that has the full digital dash in it. I switched from the half and half dash and someone forgot to mention that the senders were different so now my gas guage reads backwards. its really annoying filling the tank and seeing it say its empty then watching the gas guage go towards full as it runs out of gas. Someone has to have one of these somewhere thats still good who would be willing to sell it cheap. Thanks everyone.
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.

Re: fuel sending unit needed

Reply #1
I have one in my '85 tank.  It had the full digital dash and it worked the last time I checked.  I'm not sure on the time frame, I don't have it here, it's a couple hours away.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #2
will the one out of an 85 work in it? and if so how much would you want for it?
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

SOLD!!!!

Reply #3
I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't work on your car as long as  it's from a car w/ full digital display.  I don't know how much they usually run, so I don't know how much to charge.  It'd have to be around 20 bucks, I probably won't bother retrieving it for any less.

Reply #4
They're not available new, so $20 is a good fair price.

Reply #5
Mmmmm, I'm not so sure it will work. 1986-88 tanks ran off a different resistance. But for $20 it's worth a shot and I sincerely hope you can make it work.

Reply #6
I figured it would work because how the '85+ used the same instrument cluster and fuel pump, I thought maybe the third piece of that puzzle would fit in too, but maybe not.  I didn't realize the 85-86 TC clusters were different from the 87-88's till just a little while ago.

Reply #7
give me a couple days to see if I can find out if it will or not Im sure someone would know. 20 sounds good to me. the resistance of my fuel level guage being different is whats causing the problem now. the resisitance being off is causing it to read backwards. I know the dash clusters from 86 work in 87 on the buttstuffog with a digital speedo will interchange because Ive done that without a problem. not sure on this digital stuff though its turning out to be alot harder then I first planned, not to mention more expensive.

SOLD!!!!

Reply #8
hey amooset what would it take to get you to go get it and send it to me?

SOLD!!!!

Reply #9
According to the '84 shop manual, the resistance is different between a standard fuel gage sending unit and the electronic sending unit.
However, the reason the gage is working backwards is: The standard sender resistance increases as the tank empties and the electronic sender resistance decreases as the tank empties.

Reply #10
Quote from: Master_xzavior
hey amooset what would it take to get you to go get it and send it to me?

I just developed a leak in my current tank and need to swap it out.  I have to change the sending unit out since i've got the ol' digi/buttstuffog style guage.  The old sending unit would be yours (if you still want it)  I was going to head up today, but freezing rain decided to spoil my plans.  Perhaps I'll head up sometime next week, weather permitting.

Reply #11
cool let me know when you get it and I'll take it

SOLD!!!!

Reply #12
Just so happens we're having a blizzard this week.  This is really py, just when I think I can take off, the weather screws with me.

Reply #13
no doubt same weather here you wouldnt happen to be close to kansas would you? we got ice and snow and more on the way it sucks.

SOLD!!!!

Reply #14
Quote from: Master_xzavior
no doubt same weather here you wouldnt happen to be close to kansas would you? we got ice and snow and more on the way it sucks.

I'm near Des Moines, 12+ inches of snow expected before the night's over.