Skip to main content
Topic: New to me 83 (Read 4655 times) previous topic - next topic

New to me 83

Picked up this 83 in West St Paul MN last night. 3.8, auto overdrive, no power options, r mirror delete, no air, 179,000 miles. Well cared for one owner with original paint. Should make a good home for my 289, otherwise going to leave it alone, or try to anyway.

New to me 83

Reply #1
Quote from: bodyman;461060
Picked up this 83 in West St Paul MN last night. 3.8, auto overdrive, no power options, r mirror delete, no air, 179,000 miles. Well cared for one owner with original paint. Should make a good home for my 289, otherwise going to leave it alone, or try to anyway.

Naaah, knock that 3.8 in the head and stick a whole motor in it...

BTW, nice car...

New to me 83

Reply #2
'83's are the best.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

New to me 83

Reply #3
TurboCoupe50

BTW, nice car...

Thank you.

Wanted to add the pic with the original owner John, he said ok so here it is. After introductions and a hand shake the first thing he said was "I'm having second thoughts". 34 years is a long time to own a car.

New to me 83

Reply #4
Looks to be in really good shape for a MN car. No rust. Must have not been driven in the snow/salt.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

New to me 83

Reply #5
Looks pretty nice! It must have been a tough sale for him.
What are the date codes on those TRX tires?
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

New to me 83

Reply #6
Chuck W

'83's are the best.

As long as it has 4 eyes and the old school dash I'm happy.

thunderjet302

Looks to be in really good shape for a MN car. No rust. Must have not been driven in the snow/salt.

He said he never drove it in the winter, there is one tiny little spot he touched up behind the left rear tire, other than that it's remarkably clean for a MN car.

BCA

Looks pretty nice! It must have been a tough sale for him.
 What are the date codes on those TRX tires?

Yeah, I think so, but he has another project car that his father owned that he wants to do and needed space for.
Date code is 45th week of 1991. He said it's only the second set of tires in those 179,000 miles. I think I might try to find some replacements, that or have the rims re-hooped for 16's.

New to me 83

Reply #7
Wow that is a score!
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

New to me 83

Reply #8
Quote from: bodyman;461073
As long as it has 4 eyes and the old school dash I'm happy.

He said he never drove it in the winter, there is one tiny little spot he touched up behind the left rear tire, other than that it's remarkably clean for a MN car.

Yeah, I think so, but he has another project car that his father owned that he wants to do and needed space for.
Date code is 45th week of 1991. He said it's only the second set of tires in those 179,000 miles. I think I might try to find some replacements, that or have the rims re-hooped for 16's.

https://lmr.com/products/mustang-trx-wheels  TRX ready to go, but not quite the same style.
Mike

New to me 83

Reply #9
deathbypsi

Wow that is a score!

Thank you

mcb82gt
TRX ready to go, but not quite the same style.

Thanks for the link. They are different but would look good. pen 15er tire has tires for $331/each which is "only" $224 more than the LMR rims and tires. Seems like a lot but it will most likely be the only tires I will ever have to put on it. I have my local tire guy looking to see if he can find some at a better price, my guess is that he won't.

My brother has that style of TRX rims from his 84 cougar, will have to bolt them up to see how I like it.

New to me 83

Reply #10
Nice!  Was the mirror delete a factory thing?  Never seen it before on these cars

New to me 83

Reply #11
Puchrider
Nice! Was the mirror delete a factory thing? Never seen it before on these cars

Thank you. It must have been, if I understood correctly he ordered this car without air and the other options. I was going through some papers he sent along and found the dealer invoice. The TRX wheels and tires were a $649 option. Total cost was $10,929. Base price was $9197.

New to me 83

Reply #12
Nice fine, love the 4 eyes

New to me 83

Reply #13
Nice score! Hows the other one coming along?

New to me 83

Reply #14
83TB
Nice fine, love the 4 eyes

87thunderbirdBlackJack
Nice score! Hows the other one coming along?

Thanks guys,

Well.... The other one actually has a little going on in the last week. I barely worked on it in almost a year,  and last Sunday I spent a few hours working on the stainless exhaust. It's kinda sorta kicking my rear cutting the bends and fitting the pipe over the rear axle. I set a small goal of getting the exhaust done by July. I will bring the thread back from the dead at that point.  Once the exhaust is done it's take everything back apart and start body work and painting.