Skip to main content
Topic: Head cam swap on stock short block (Read 816 times) previous topic - next topic

Head cam swap on stock short block

I want to try to put a "E" cam and E7 heads on an otherwise stock cougar 5.0 shortblock but I'm worried about clearence with the flattop pistons. Has anyone done this swap ?  I dont want to do a complete rebuild.

Reply #1
Vinnie did it with milled E-7 's   but every engine is different.http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=16336
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
Yep,I did it.I installed the E303,ported E7 heads (I didn't mill these heads,Kitz),and have had no clearance issues.I would suggest doing a Mass Air conversion first,though.It's really easy to do,and is well worth the time to do it.The engine is very strong,and seems to like the higher rpms.Meaning,the more I push the skinny pedal,the happier the car is.Great mid range torque as well.I can be rolling down the road around 25 to 30 and stomp the gas,and the tires break loose and the rear of the car gets a little squirrelly for a few seconds.Nice.I'd also suggest a better than stock intake as well with a bigger throttlebody. and a good exhaust.I don't know what your current complete setup is,but all of those things (intake,exhaust,cam,heads,etc) all work together.Sometimes bigger isn't always better.Ask a lot of questions and there are many here who will be glad to help.For the Mas Air,I spent about $100.00 total for that conversion.The computer is what costs.the rest is easy stuff to get.If I can help,PM me,and I'll do what I can.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My Combo

Reply #3
87 Cougar 5.0 with  unequal length shorty headers, 2.5" X-pipe and 2.5" super 40's. I also have an Typhoon intake manifold and a 93 cobra 24lb computer for a future mass air conversion. I bought some ported E7's on ebay that I want to install along with the cam , intake, and 87 Turbo coupe rear with CHE control arms and custom springs.  ( I've been collecting parts for a while )

Reply #4
You won't have any problems with an e-cam.
Put er in and get er runnin.

Reply #5
ALWAYS check PTV to be safe.....Sounds like it should work though....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
is this definetly the case? ive read so many conflicting posts on the subject, because my shortblock has 67k on it and I was going to buy an explorer motor but if I can run e7 heads and an e cam on my motor then ide rather go that route for now

Reply #7
See post 6.....Welcome aboard!:D
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!