Skip to main content
Topic: a VERY DIFFERENT approach to porting (Read 4861 times) previous topic - next topic

a VERY DIFFERENT approach to porting

So after reading these articles Im very skeptical of everything I thought I knew about porting... to the point that I have an idea to redesign a flowbench  to actually mimic a cylinder, instead of vacuum cleaner.

Start with article 18, or 17 so you have a grasp on his way of thinking of engine phases.  He definitely lacks enough volume of proof to make this a complete game changer but I think he has something here, and its not at all new.
http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

Reply #1
can someone summarize for me.. my ADD just kicked in and i left the page after 'in january of 1992..' LOL
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #2
Interesting. Very interesting. I wonder how much of this transfers to a fuel injected car engine as opposed to a small motorcycle engine. I'd love to see some dyno results for part 19, where he puts grooves in the intake ports.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #3
whoa.. no no no no no.. NOOOOOO.. grooving is BAD.. it's been tested by micro engine builders (on CBR600RR, ZX636, GSXR600 and R6 motors) and it made performance WORST than stock.. it was also tested by a builder that goes by the name of maveric on 2 strokes.. i had 2 of those experimental cylinders and they were GARBAGE.. it was also tested on a couple YZ450F's with piss-poor results.. i just skimmed through some of article 19 and i'm horrified by what i read..

ask anyone here who has run their heads stock, then removed them for portwork.. they will all agree, performance was increased.. making ports smaller? really? way to kill the flow rate.. motorcycle manufactures use large ports and restrict them by using smaller TB's/carbs and headers.. removing the stock, junk header for a performance unit is a VAST improvement.. i had a 98 honda F3 on the only 600cc micro i ever ran.. it was mildly built with a stock cam trick (a factory intake cam in place of the exhaust cam), an S&S 4-2-1 header/ler combo, 36mm keihin flatslides (over the factory 33's), some sort of aftermarket ignition (dyna2000 i think?) and massive portwork.. the motor dyno'd 149 @11500 (rev limiter set to 12500).. guess what it dyno'd with a stock head? 122 @10200.. this guy is a crackpot, hands down.. i dislike streetbikes, but i'm willing to bet i could build 1 that smokes his, if he's really performing the work he posted on his site..

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #4
well the latest details of his work end around 2007, at which point we've already discovered every trick we have in the book to this date.  And shadow, you totally fell into the trap he mentions over and over and over.  Like i said, he lacks the extensive proof to make me a believer, but I see very good physics in his theory.  especially when he's comparing the gsxr 1000 to the fzr400.  Also note he doenst think this will work as well on a 2v as it does on a 4v.

Break it down like this too, how many people have you ever known that had port work done, and NO OTHER MODS at the same time? its pretty rare.  And so often in port work, you're removing obvious restrictions along with hogging out the port so most likely you're gonna come out positive anyway.  The dynamic events happening during a cycle do hurt us in many ways as we increase flow.  Plus im 100% convinced he's right about the complete failure of a flow bench to mark the performance of a port as the motion of a cylinder not only varies in suction but also in direction while the port is still open.
Is he right? maybe, is he wrong? maybe.  He'res where it gets me tho, look of the shape he puts into that port... isnt it a lil familiar,  havent you read "dont take material off the bottom wall!"  havent you seen the extreme effects that venturi tuning can have on performance?  Or maybe he's just a crackpot and no other person on this forum should bother reading the articles.

Reply #5
i vote crackpot lol what trap? i can't read the whole article, my mind won't allow me to sit still that long.. as for 'only portwork,' it's rare occurrence.. i've only done it twice for 1 customer (2 different cars), without messing with anything else (except VGS lol)

Reply #6
Easy fix. Get boost and port till ya can't port no more. He has an interesting point, but so did the guy who invented the flowbe. :clown:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)

Reply #7
It was an interesting read, I personally have no idea if he knows what he is talking about though.

Thanks for sharing! :D
...and there was light!

Reply #8
I wonder what he would do to my 5 valve headed 998 Yamaha?
1988 Thunderbird LX  557/C6 project. UPR tube K-member, A-Arms, Strange 10 way adjustable coilovers. SN-95 spindle,brakes. Manual rack, bump steer kit.  MM castor/camber plates, Dynatech 2 1/8 swap headers. Quick 9" 35 spline Moser axles,CHE lower c arms,

Reply #9
close the ports completely by the logic i get out of it LOL

Reply #10
No just to 65% of your valve.
...and there was light!

Reply #11
LOL i'm going to attempt to read it all today.. then i can really pick it apart :p

Reply #12
Quote from: atroxr7;384790
The dynamic events happening during a cycle do hurt us in many ways as we increase flow.  Plus im 100% convinced he's right about the complete failure of a flow bench to mark the performance of a port as the motion of a cylinder not only varies in suction but also in direction while the port is still open.

isnt it a lil familiar,  havent you read "dont take material off the bottom wall!"  havent you seen the extreme effects that venturi tuning can have on performance?  Or maybe he's just a crackpot and no other person on this forum should bother reading the articles.

Unless you FULLY understand how a process works, you'll never fully optimize it by throwing broad general theory at it and playing trial and error. I've wondered this as well about "flow testing". How is a flow bench set up? What moves the air through it? A "bladed" fan like you would expect to see in front of a car radiator or in your house? Compressed air from a tank? A squirrel-cage fan? As you stated, air flow out of an engine is PULSED. Could is be "better flow is better flow is better flow"? Sure. Could it not be? Sure. You won't know until you put your input parameters into the "black box" and see what comes out. That's testing. The scientific method. :)

At some point I want to learn how and port things on my own. Kind of along the lines of my freakish exact-factory-appearance with non-factory performance fetish :giggle: But I need to read through that article, I'm very curious to see what he has to say as well. It is a busy-looking page, probably keeps you interested with the jumping around and colors and everything lol.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #13
Quote from: ZondaC12;384969
At some point I want to learn how and port things on my own. Kind of along the lines of my freakish exact-factory-appearance with non-factory performance fetish :giggle:

google 'how to port cylinder heads' and you'll find some step by step how-to pages.. it won't make you a pro, but it'll get your foot in the door

Reply #14
Biggest thing is slowly acspoogeulating some junk/cheap heads which I am doing from time to time so I can practice practice practice and if I ruin 'em...oh well :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane