Skip to main content
Topic: Let's see those sound systems (Read 12244 times) previous topic - next topic

Let's see those sound systems

I'm thinking of a new sound system in the bird....custom box to fit in upper trunk area.  2 amps, maybe tv/dvd/navi.  Just wanted to see some of you guys set up's.

Thanks
Dave
86 TC.......Intake, fmic ,bov ,pillar gauges......more to come

Reply #1
Back in the day (3 Yrs ago) I had 2 12" Audiobahn Sound Q's I had them hooked up to a 1200 Watt Sony amp and it was super duper loud!

Reply #2
Well right now i have 2 of the old school 808's and thinking of making a small sealed box for them to fit right where the spare would be. To retain the rest of the trunk and save weight.

Reply #3
I had two 12" MTX Thunder 6000's with an MTX Blue Thunder 1502 Amp, right up against the back seat, and man they hit hard. Had to do some tricky dimensions to get it to fit under the torsion bars but man does it look(And sound) good.
The only pictures I have are it during the build. It now has very nice dark grey carpet with rattle can sealer underneath to help ward off moisture.
The box is built from 3/4" MDF, definitely not a lightweight.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #4
Nice jrad im doing this in a 86. By any chances do u still have the measurements ?  If so please can i get a copy.  I'm going to use to old school 808 speakers, and i also have some w6 10's i may use.  Don't wan't the gorilla in my trunk anymore. Just a nice clean hit.  That 12 box looks nice. 

Your 83 looks almost like my 86. Medium red with mesh wheels. I own 2 sets of meshes ,are's and enkie's  15 and 16's

Reply #5
Are you using 8's 10s or 12s? The only reason I had to slope it like that was because I wanted the 12's pointed somewhat into the back seat. You should have 12 inches of clearance from the the trunk floor to the tensioners, and if you go with 10" speakers, you can just build/buy a rectangular box for them. As for the dimensions, I could measure the outside of the box, but you would have to do all the subtracting for the thickness of material, and the slope uses some interesting angles. 

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the 808's.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #6
the 808's are some old school 8" subs that my uncle had in his 80's jetta and man they hit hard..  He used them up until last yer then put them in the garage. So i thought why not make a box that would fit in that small space.  but yes height ,length, and width please.

Thanks
David

Reply #7
Pioneer  Avic D3

I've only had a chance to install the radio so far.

Pics of the Sirius and Nav antenna

Reply #8
Heres one of the reasons I can't work on the bird all the time-just got finished with the first phase of install in my Mustang.

Pioneer Z110

8" Pioneer flat subs

Reply #9
Since I'm posting pics here's some pics of my 94 Mustang convertible. I did this system in 2000-2001

15" Kicker Comps (free air)

Reply #10
Nice very nice i was thinking of finding some free air's. Howw do they hit compared to a box? I see you did the works to the stang.

I'm just using all stock locations. All pioneer speakers and head unit with navi.
Maybe two 10's or one 12 or my uncles old 808 8" subs.

Reply #11
Has anyone seen the car computers?........I thought that would be hot with a megasquirt.

http://www.xenarc.com/product/index-pc.html

Reply #12
Thanks-tell you the truth I never had a box in my car with the 15's. I install systems and wanted to stay away from a box because the trunk in my convt is very small. Besides everybody I know with a Mustang has a box-i just wanted something different. Oh yes the 15'shiznit VERY HARD and low. The hard part is stopping the car from vibrating-a small fortune in Dynamat and hole lot of cursing and I have the vibration down to an acceptable level. Please keep the pics coming.

Reply #13
I say put the gauges over the head unit in the bird. That would be hot. But I'm really thinking of this car pc.  Think it would make tuning so much easier and on the fly.

Reply #14
Haha now I feel ashamed of my system, thanks Kendoo!

As of now I have

Pioneer 4900ib

Clarion 3.5s in the dash

Alpine Type S 6x5s in the doors

Alpine Type S 6x9s in the rear deck

10" Pioneer Premier Sub

2 10" Thumps (I got them for free and they'll be gone soon)

Concept 400 watt(?)
Kaption Audio 350 watt(?)

6 guage power wire, a t splitter for the two amps.

Not all that much but it works for me.

Oh and Jrad your box is made out of particle board not MDF.

'88 Mercury Cougar LS, 302, Project Car - "The Coug"
'83 Ford Thunderbird Heritage, 302, Summer Ride, - "The Bambi Killer"
'86 Chevrolet S10, Daily Driver -  "The Black Beater"