Skip to main content
Topic: Toying with T5 swap behind 3.8 (Read 8678 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Toying with T5 swap behind 3.8

Reply #45
Quote from: tstone
The issue with the 3.0 and 4.0 is that they are 60 degree V6's and use a Mazda manual trans behind them.  I think the bellhousing much like the C3/A4LD on those vehicles, which will not fix a small block pattern.

i noticed that partsamerica site says the manual 3.8 flywheel for an '82 truck is an "E8" part, which doesn't make any sense

Whatever the case, we still need a part number on that 3.8/manual bell housing.  Mustang and truck SROD's were a little different, so this site says:

http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/tranny_guide/tranny_guide.html

But are the input shafts different sizes?  Will the truck bell clear under the firewall if it's a different part?

I may consider an SROD swap if my AOD will ever break.

I didnt mean bellhousings I meant flywheels. Sometimes Ford keeps the same bolt pattern for the flywheel.

James

Reply #46
Different number of teeth, much less according to the partsamerica (135 or 138 teeth for Ranger).

Looks like they are 0 balanced.

Reply #47
Sorry if this is a stupid question or something that's been brought up already, but it's been a f'ed up night.. and I'm not able to read this entire thread in one sitting.

What manual tranny gets used with a 4.2 V6 in the later F150s?

Reply #48
Quote from: Bird351
What manual tranny gets used with a 4.2 V6 in the later F150s

It is a M5OD R2.  It uses a hydraulic clutch. Gear ratios are below.
1st 3.90
2nd 2.25
3rd 1.50
4th 1.00
5th 0.80
rev 3.39

Quote from: F150forums.com
17 13/16 inches from the bellhousing to the center of the shifter lever.

The T5 has a bellhousing-shifter length is about 26.4". The M5OD length sounds a little short, but that's what was on the forum.

If the F100 bellhousing is the same length as the Fox Mustang bellhousing, the SROD might fit without too much hassle. One site I saw said you had to modify the shifter handle to account for the shorter bellhousing-shifter length of the SROD

Reply #49
It may not be that short.  Have you seen how far back the engine sits in an F-150 bay?  How about how long that diagonally mounted shifter is?

On another note I drove a custom ordered white, bare bones, stripped down 4.6L M5OD F-150.  That thing hauled ass through 1st gear, at least.

An SROD in a 3.8 fox car would be interesting.  But who wants an SROD?  I'd only put one in if my AOD goes south.

Reply #50
Yeah, I think an SROD conversion would be more of a "I did it 'cause I could" type of modification. You could also throw in a toploader, since they share the same case. You'd have to use an SROD or Lakewood bellhousing to make use of a clutch cable setup. Some info here, here, and a Mustang T5 to toploader swap here.

Reply #51
The '87 3.8 flexplate arrived in the mail today. My dial calipers have taken a vacation to an unknown location, so I had to use more primitive means to compare the two. I used drill bits to see if the bolt holes are the same size. The 5.0 flywheel fits 7/16" bit cleanly, the 3.8 fits a 13/32". The 7/16" bit will not fit into the 3.8 flexplate. Also, I could not get the two bolt patterns to line up exactly. I could get them to match up very closely, but never exactly. I eyeballed the crankshaft interface to ring gear dimension and they looked to be the same. I'm going to buy another set of dial calipers and measure again to get something more accurate.