Skip to main content
Topic: Tailpipes ? (Read 1584 times) previous topic - next topic

Tailpipes ?

Looking int exhaust upgrade and want to add stainless tips on my 87 Tbird. Will the same tailpipes work from a 86 GT  Mustang work? I really like the look of the stainless tips.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Tailpipes ?

Reply #1
I used 2 1/2 inch Mustang tail pipes, but with no tips. Had to have them extended, then I had the tips welded on. The Stang pipes themselves are a few inches too short for our cars.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Tailpipes ?

Reply #2
Quote from: vinnietbird;403058
I used 2 1/2 inch Mustang tail pipes, but with no tips. Had to have them extended, then I had the tips welded on. The Stang pipes themselves are a few inches too short for our cars.

x2.  I have the GT tails on my car now (used to have LX ones).  I like how the GT tails are tucked further up into the car and the turndowns.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Tailpipes ?

Reply #3
Stinger performance sells stainless tail pipes fit for our cars, http://www.stinger-performance.com/headerparts.html if you scroll about 3/4 of the way down you will see them.

Tailpipes ?

Reply #4
I have custom exhaust all the way but I used 2½" tailpipes from Summitracing.
In my opinion they fit perfect on the car. Looks like this:

Tailpipes ?

Reply #5
I didn't bother
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Tailpipes ?

Reply #6
Quote from: Thunderbird88;403092
I have custom exhaust all the way but I used 2½" tailpipes from Summitracing.
In my opinion they fit perfect on the car. Looks like this:

That looks good!  What did you order and did you have to extend them like the Mustang tails?

Tailpipes ?

Reply #7
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-690052/overview/ That's the one I bought.
The exhaust is custom built 2½" stainless steel and the tips are welded on there.
I wish I would've done the way I wanted from the beginning. Making some grooves above them in the bumper and getting them up a bit more. Would definetly blend in better with the car.
But it sure looks good enough as it does :)

Tailpipes ?

Reply #8
Stinger Performance tails.

X
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)