Skip to main content
Topic: aftermarket shifters (Read 1545 times) previous topic - next topic

aftermarket shifters

Hey has anyone ever put an aftermarket shifter (ie: B&M Quicksilver) in their fox Bird/Cougar? I was wondering how cleanly it could be installed. I know I'de probibly have to switch to a full counsil but I think I would have to cut it up to put in the shifter. Any pics would be great too :D . Thanks.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Re: aftermarket shifters

Reply #1
well, this isnt mine (i can only wish)  but it has the B&M megashifter in it  (this is Ronnies)

Reply #2
Probably earlier this week I will be installing a B&M Pro Ratchet in my 87 XR7. I'll take pics and post them. I removed the factory console and will bolt the shifter right to the floor. Since the bolt pattern isn't even close, I will weld over the hole in the floor from the factory and drill new hole for the bolts and the shift cable. It's a drag car, so there is no interior anymore, but I think the same method would work well for anycar without a console. It would probably be best to remove the carpet to do the drilling and welding, if necessary. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Reply #3
Here's my B&M console hammer in my LS. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
I put a b&m console shifter in my 1988 cougar xr7 and it worked like . :disappoin  the throw on the new shifter was half as long as the original. I bent modded and shimmed to get everthing but I couldn't get to first. I love the shifter though, It feels great.

Reply #5
i have a B&M Starshifter I believe in my 88 mustang, same problem as 87-turbo but if using the full ratchet action (ie all the way to 1st, shift to 2nd and it only goes to 2nd) it wont go into 3rd but if I dont use it that way, just bring the shifter all the way back, but leave it straight up I can go 1-2-3 and just pull the trigger up and downshift..Ill be getting a hammer though soon cuz the previous owner didnt even care how it looked evedently and hacked the console to shiznit.

Reply #6
This is the second Hammer shifter I've used, and no problems. Sounds like your cables are misadjusted. The console hammer is a full ratchet shifter, you have to ratchet every gear up or down. Took about twenty min. to install, works great!!  :banana:  :banana: Light years ahead of the factory shifter, cheaper too. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #7
I cut a hole in the floor for my Tremec 3550. I installed a UPR shifter in the custom mini-console I made by cutting up a full console. I'll post a pic later ...
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #8
Thanks for the replys. I hoping that I can fit the shifter in without having to install the full counsil. The car has a column shifter right now so I believe I have to flip the shifter conection bracket at the trans when I go to the B&M floor shifter right?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
Here's a few pictures of my install of a B&M ProRatchet. I think this would be ideal for a car without a console. All I had to do was weld a plate over the hole I already had and bolt it in. I had to drill four holes for the bolts and a larger one for the cable to go through the floor. It came with all the brackets to connect to most transmissions. The shifter is intended to be flush mounted. The cable comes out the front at an angle and goes through the floor 3 inches in front of the shifter. Nothing else protrudes down through, however, I had to hammer a small dent under the pivot for the shift handle because it would rock about 1mm below the base. Hope this helps.

Reply #10
Whoa ! Images Saved ! (for educational purposes)

I needed to see that....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #11
One other thing....    If your going to be welding and painting right there, you should probably pull the seat out or at least move it all the way back. Mine is junk anyway, but I singed it a bit and got a little overspray on it. You should also scrub any grease and oil off of the underside of the hump before you start welding. The heat from my welds very nearly started a fire under there. Thinking back, I probably should have had an extinguisher handy.....

Reply #12
I HAVE THAT SAME SHIFTER H B JUST HAVRNT PUT IT IN YET.LOOKS GOOD  :flame:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]