Skip to main content
Topic: motor combo idea (Read 1373 times) previous topic - next topic

motor combo idea

Hello I'm new to the board and was wondering if ya guys could give me some advice on a motor combination I was considering for my 88 5.0 Tbird. I would like to install a slightly modified 5.0 HO in place of the SO. I would like to run speed density for the ease of instillation and wirering but if you think that this combo won't work with speed density let me know. Any ways here's what I plan on doing.
5.0 HO short block and stock HO cam
GT-40 iron heads
Cobra intake manifold
65mm throttle body

I know I will need a mustang speed density computer and 19# injectors for this to work. I just want to make sure that what I have in mind would work with a speed density setup. Thanks for any information ya guys can provide.

Pics of my car can be found here
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1206962
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Re: motor combo idea

Reply #1
I was looking to do that same combo a couple of months ago. (except with mass air)
But I had trouble finding a pair of gt-40's in my price range, every pair I seen were about $550-$600 total after shipping.. some needed work or had lots of miles on them. Cause I didn't want to spend more than $400 on a pair of heads that are slightly better than stock.  I found a nice pair of Edelbrock Alum 60379's for $700 shipped on the corral classifieds and went from there. Now I run the eddy 60379's, trick flow stage 1 cam, cobra intake, and 24# injectors...

these edelbrock's run great and I soooo happy I didn't spend the $$ on the gt-40's... plus the wieght loss on the front end was noticable...

My point is if you can spend alittle bit more $$ than get yourself a good used pair of edelbrocks or tfs heads... unless you find a killer deal on a pair of gt-40's that are fresh and maybe have some port work etc...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
You should be able to get a set of the GT40 irons for approx $300(would not pay more). With headers and good dual exaust system, combo will make a fairly strong runner.

Reply #4
So I could run any head intake combo with speed density as long as I don't change the cam right? Thanks for the suggestion on edelbrock heads. I'de like to run cast iron for durability (I've had some bad experiences with aluminum heads) but not the stock HO e7's. I haven't gotten heads yet so thanks for the link. I'de get em but I just bought a new daily driver and all my money for the bird went to that car so I got to wait awile to get parts. On a side note has anyone had experiences with the World/Rousch 180 or 200 iron heads? Thanks again.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
That combo is acceptable for a Speed Density setup.  You can use aftermarket cams with speed density.  The trick is to keep vacuum.  Should you decide you want an aftermarket cam find one with a 114-116 degree lobe separation angle or LSA.  These threads are good reference.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=96&highlight=speed+density
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=1070&highlight=speed+density
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=2028&highlight=speed+density

A popular aftermarket cam for a 5.0 HO with speed density is Crower part # 15511

Crane also makes some good ones with the HO firing order as well as the SO firing order.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
As long as the cam stays stockish(refer to Pauls suggestions), the idle will be OK. But I could see a problem with it being too lean at full throttle with a set of really good heads(Roush, Ebrock, TF, ect) .. Possibly a adj fuel pressure regulator would help in this sitiuation, hopefully I can let you know in another few weeks. I have another '88 Bird with the Windsor jr heads that has a stock cam, 65mm
T-body ,1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exaust system and is SD(I have a mass air setup as well, so I'll try it both ways). Presently has a ported stock HO intake, but am planning on running a GT40 after first trip or two to the strip.

Reply #7
Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I'll be able to get the engine together in the next year or two an actually have a fast Bird. One more question is it better to have my stock short block rebuilt with new pistons or get a remanufactured short block from Advanced auto or some place like that?