Skip to main content
Topic: Odd question about hubs and 4 lug (Read 1511 times) previous topic - next topic

Odd question about hubs and 4 lug

This is a very out there question since I can't imagine there's much desire to do so BUT in the world of foxes, mixing and matching parts is second nature, so I imagine someone sometime maybe has looked into this... Does anyone know of any 4 lug hub/bearing assemblies that happen directly fit the SN95 spindles? Sort of a 5 lug conversion without the 5 lugs :hick:

I somehow got the thought in my head of using stock 15" XR7 turbines with PBRs.
-Matt
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Reply #1
None that I've ever heard tell of.

Some people swap to the SN95 stuff for the better brakes...getting 5 lug is a bonus...
And other people swap to get 5 lug, and the ability to upgrade brakes is a...a bonus..

If there was a way to make turbines 5 lug...then that's what I'd have on mine. I'm sure it could be done, but not very cheaply.

I suppose one could always weld and redrill the SN95 hubs to 4 lug, but I'm not so sure the PBR caliper and the rotor to fit would fit in  a 15" wheel....a google or even a search here would probably answer that question.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
The turbines should fit fine, us MN12ers have been stuffing the PBRs under the stock 15" fanblades/snowflakes without issue. My Cobras on my 94 though required 17" wheels at a minimum.

Most googling pertaining to this is pretty much limited to 5 lug conversions and 4 lugs brake upgrades seem to end at the usual Lincoln type caliper upgrades. This idea seems like uncharted territory from the looks of things.
-Matt
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Reply #3
No. I believe the SN95 uses a pressed in, non-serviceable ball bearing on a straight (non-tapered) shaft. Fox spindles use a serviceable tapered roller bearing on a tapered shaft. You might possibly be able to use Focus hubs, bearings but I highly doubt it (that whole FWD thing). Then there would be the brakes problem...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
So it would seem the only way to accomplish having the PBR calipers with 4 lug pattern would be to weld and re-drill the '94 up Stang hubs and rotors...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
Probably right. I think Focus rear hubs could have been viable since they're the press in style deal but I'd worry that they aren't strong enough for a 3500 lb front engine RWD application since they're from the back of a front heavy sub 3,000lb car. Plus from what I've seen the shaft is smaller as well.

My big reservation with redrilling the factory hubs is that they have extra casting humps around the studs only which means a few, if not all studs won't seat properly when they're pressed in and will be on a less reinforced section of the hub. Rotors though I'd be less reserved about

I'll probably just put this on the back burner for now since it's not a high priority project yet. Thanks for the input!
-Matt
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Reply #6
Hey Matt, Glad to see ya here!!

Bakstoy from TCCoA

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #7
You always have the option of a 5 lug turbine if you're not set on having Mustang turbines. There's AR Vectors, Crown Vic turbines, and the multitudes of aftermarket turbines they made in the '70s and '80s.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #8
I have the vic "turbines" on my wagon, and I love the way they look. Not sure how it would do under a fox though.

Why not just use tc or mustang brakes and do the 11" brakes that way?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Quote from: 1BadBird;384089
Hey Matt, Glad to see ya here!!

Bakstoy from TCCoA

Good to see you John! I thought you might be here lol I've been tooling up for my currently phantom Fox Cougar build over the last year or so, so I'll probably be around here more often.

Are you still doing the shop warming meet in May or whenever?

Quote from: Haystack;384096
I have the vic "turbines" on my wagon, and I love the way they look. Not sure how it would do under a fox though.

Why not just use tc or mustang brakes and do the 11" brakes that way?

Mostly to utilize the aluminum 2 pot PBR calipers which require SN95 spindles. If there was a way to use them on Fox spindles with the 11" hub/rotor I'd definitely do it.

As for the other turbines, nah I like the looks of the 4 lug ones. Plus I scored a full set of Cougar center caps for them yesterday. I can't let those unicorns go to waste;)
-Matt
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Reply #10
Quote from: XR7-4.6;384101
Good to see you John! I thought you might be here lol I've been tooling up for my currently phantom Fox Cougar build over the last year or so, so I'll probably be around here more often.

Are you still doing the shop warming meet in May or whenever?

I'll update that soon on my thread for that here and on TCCoA. Might have a hitch in the get-up on that I'll know after Sunday.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #11
uuhh ok, i am a newbie.        whats a PBR?        i assume its not a beer?
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #12
PBRs are the name of the manufacturer who builds the caliper. They're the aluminum dual piston calipers used on the 99-04 Mustangs for a 10.8" rotor.
-Matt
[/FONT][/SIZE]