Skip to main content
Topic: Hubcap locking nuts removal? (Read 1976 times) previous topic - next topic

Hubcap locking nuts removal?

Does anyone know the size of the locking nut that holds the hubcaps in place?  I am trying to remove them and don't want to purchase a whole set or if anyone knows any other way to undo them that would be fantastic.  Thanks.

Reply #1
I used vice grips.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Wait which wheels do you have first of all. I have the rubber 'road wheels' on my car, and it has plastic lug nuts, including a lock nut molded in to the pop on cover. It has a couple busted out from people trying to loosen the fake plastic lugs.

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #3
Wire wheel covers have the locking nut in the center behind the center cap emblem.

It always trips me out the people who install tires never bother to check to see if the lug nuts are fake or not before putting an impact wrench to them...

Reply #4
I feel your pain. The guy I purchased my car from lost it. I used a dremel to cut a slot in nut, then used a flat tip screw driver in the slot to turn it out.  I didn't have the intent to ever re-use them so I didn't mind cutting them up with the dremel.  The covers fit pretty tight with out the nut, so I don't think they will go flying off, and I don't think theft is a biggy on hubcaps ( that I know of ).

Reply #5
I took the bolts off mine back in the early 90s. You won't lose them unless someone takes them. And what are the chances of anyone wanting them. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
Thanks everyone.  My tires are the wire wheel covers with the lock nut underneath the emblem.  Thanks Vinnie for the tip though our vise grip wasn't able to get a good 'grip' on it. We will probably end up cutting them off like you did Miah so thanks for the advice and now have to go find my dremel.

Reply #7
Good luck.When you get the bolts out,toss them and the hubcaps away and replace the wheels with some nice aluminum pieces.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
Quote from: vinnietbird;316455
Good luck.When you get the bolts out,toss them and the hubcaps away and replace the wheels with some nice aluminum pieces.

Thanks, I appreciate the well wishes and that will definitely be on my to-do list for the car.

Reply #9
Quote from: joshua.m1001;316453
Thanks everyone.  My tires are the wire wheel covers with the lock nut underneath the emblem.  Thanks Vinnie for the tip though our vise grip wasn't able to get a good 'grip' on it. We will probably end up cutting them off like you did Miah so thanks for the advice and now have to go find my dremel.

You can try an old fashioned easy-out as well. Drill the center of the bolt, run the easy out in then back it right on out.

I am thinking of doing wire wheel covers just to upset Vinnie... :rollin: