Skip to main content
Topic: 88 TC and SN ABS compatibility (Read 958 times) previous topic - next topic

88 TC and SN ABS compatibility

Ok, so I'm working on getting this other TC and I'd want to go with the SN front and rear brakes like my current TC.  Just wondering if it'd be possible to wire the SN sensors to the TC ABS system and have it still function.  I would think the signal would be similar but I guess I really don't know much about ABS.
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #1
I am the only guy to answer your question, since when i asked the only responses i got where"you'll just have to try it".
Well i did try it and it does work,now i only swapped on the sn95 front stuff and left my tc rear brakes on.
Then i bought moser 5 lug axles and had the stock abs rings installed,had to redrill my rotors though.
So in the end i had to replace the connectors on the sn95 sensors with the TC ones(probably would have been smarter to replace the vehicle harness connectors to make ever changing a sensor easier but, o well) just cut off the old connectors and remove the pins then resolder the old to the new.
Only two wires to contend with ground and signal,just keep in mind which is which,the sn 95 ground is bare braded wire inside the harness, the tc is not.
This however does not matter and will still work as long the wires are installed in the right locations.
So to answer your quetion,YES it does work.
If you need to know any more info just give me a holler.

Reply #2
Sweet!  Thanks.  I'm going to assume that the rear would work the same way then!

Just out of curiosity, how did you test the functionality of the ABS after swapping sensors?
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #3
Took her for a drive,if the sensors at any wheel are not reading correctly it will set a light.
Also between now and when i did the swap i have tested out the abs in a panic situation on wet roads just to make sure it works and it does.
The rear will work as it uses the same style tone wheels as the sn95 front stuff.
The only thing that worried me before i did it was,if you look on the inside of a tc rotor the abs ring looks like a hall effect sensor and the sn stuff looks like little squares.
This must not make a differance as the abs eec just sees an evenly spaced on off on off digital signal,that's why it works.

Reply #4
nice!  I fortunately never had to use the ABS in my TC (and now it's gone)...  have you ever compared the effectiveness against a newer system?

Reply #5
Going to drudge up an old thread here to ask a question to Dominator.  Did you take the stock rings off your four lug axles and mount them to the Mosers?

How different are the front rings and sensor mountings on Fox and SN95?