Skip to main content
Topic: parking break help (Read 1546 times) previous topic - next topic

parking break help

i just failed inspection because of the parking break. i never used it, so i never paid attention to it. i found that it never locks into place. i climbed underneath and it does go down but there is nothing that i can see would grab it. anyone know which part is supposed to lock it into place

parking break help

Reply #2
Typically the parking brake systems on these cars (particularly the cables) will seize up due to rust. There is a pulley underneath the driver's seat that is the main cause of seizing. Normally the components inside the rear drums are okay though. In a usual situation, one would apply the parking brake and it would stay stuck when the parking brake release lever is pulled, obviously locking the parking brake "on" (rear shoes pushed out into the drums) and therefore making it difficult to move the car and/or drive.

It doesn't sound like that's your situation though. If that pulley is free-moving and the cables seem to work, then your problem should be inside the brake drums with the mechanism itself. You (or your mechanic) can get a brake drum rebuild kit with the parking brake components and rebuild everything.

Actually, taking the car to a qualified brake shop should be top priority at this point. They work on cars all day and should be able to pinpoint the cause without too much trouble. Then you'll know how much you'll have to pay to get it fixed.

parking break help

Reply #4
Underneath the car, directly under the driver's seat. There's actually a post riveted to the floorpan and the pulley is attached to that post.

parking break help

Reply #5
If it operates when pressed, but does not lock into position, problem will be in the PB pedal assembly...

parking break help

Reply #6
Is the parking brake release stuck in the release position? (pulled out)

parking break help

Reply #8
I wouldn't call the part under the car a pulley more like a lever.  It does seem like the pedal part inside the car isn't working right. Make sure the spring that pulls the handle back is pulling it back all the way. I have a s 88 cougar that I could pull one from if you need it to make it work. Aren't there any other places you could go for an inspection?
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

parking break help

Reply #9
the guy at the garage says i need a parking brake assembly. anyone know where i can find one. he says he cant find one.

parking break help

Reply #10
i found one from an 86 cougar parking brake will fit in an 85 thunderbird

i found one really far away, but they have it in stock