Skip to main content
Topic: Sound coming from new rotor (Read 1904 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound coming from new rotor

I replaced the passenger side brake rotor (and front pads) today, and now when I go over ~33mph I get this whirring sound coming from that side of the car. I packed the bearings (sat there for an hour with those  things), put grease all over everything, I don't think it has anything to do with the brake pads cuz it's just that one side, the other side I just replaced the pads and that was it. Also when I press on the brakes it doesn't do anything to the sound except that it kinda starts slowing it down, only cuz the car is slowing down. It gets noticeable at about 33mph, any slower and you really can't hear anything. also, I went on the freeway for a short distance (like 1/2 mile) and noticed that at freeway speed I couldn't hear it either. any ideas as to wtf I did wrong?  :dunno:

Re: Sound coming from new rotor

Reply #1
Maybe the dust shield ishiznitting the wheel?

Reply #2
which part is the dust shield? is it the part that I know of as the dust cap?

Reply #3
Nope. The big "pie plate" behind the rotor.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #4
When u put the pads on did u use any stopsqueek?
How tight did u put the wheel bearing?

other wise just go over all work u did, The prob is there somewere.

Reply #5
come to think of it that dust shield might have been bent by putting the caliper on it. would this also be known as the "backing plate"?

Reply #6
on drums its called a backing plate,  I guess some people will call dust shield a backing plate,

Yes thats what they meen.

Reply #7
I would think it'd make a more metally sound, rather than a whirring sound, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow