Skip to main content
Topic: Help needed with pictures of missing parts! (Read 3562 times) previous topic - next topic

Help needed with pictures of missing parts!

The fun just will not end as I continue to work to restore my 87 TBird.  If you have not read my previous posts, allow me to recap.  I paid way too much money for a restoration shop to repair some rusted panels, repair the crumbling bumper covers, take off the body side molding, install sleeker cornering turn signals, install a spoiler on the back and paint the car a gorgeous Ford (RZ) Red Candy 2 Metallic.  This is the anemic V6 but she rides smooth.

So, I am working on finding parts that these guys left off...or did something with...I will never know.  The following is a list of missing parts - that I know of to date.

(1) Header to Radiator or hood seal.  I've been given a recommendation on the replacement seal, but I need a picture for my letter my attorney is working on for me.  A close up picture looking at the back side of the header panel would be appreciate.

(2) Hood Latch Catch or Striker.  Here's the empty space.  I've looked at strikers for Fox Body Mustangs, but a picture would help steer me in the right direction.

X

(3) Hood Safety Latch.  These guys put in a bracket that does attach to the header panel (not the separate hood latch support), but the setup is not aligned properly. Does this look to be the correct latch?  Please send a pic of yours.

X

(4) Hood Latch Support.  This one is just gone.  I need a picture to see how it is installed.  I can order one on-line for $80 new or $30 used plus shipping.  Notice the tie wrap below holding the bumper cover to the bumper cover support.  None of the bolts and/or fasteners were used to install the bumper cover.  The cover is tucked up underneath the car.

(5) Air Deflector.  I can order one for a Foxbody mustang that looks like it would work.

(6) Hood to Cowl Seal.  A picture would be great.  This too can be ordered, but it would be helpful to include in the letter from the attorney.

(6) Door Pillar Trim Piece.  This looks like something these guys found cheap to slap on there.  There are gaps on all four sides of the trim.

(7) Today I thought I would rummage through the trunk to see if a striker might be hiding somewhere.  When I looked in the storage well for the spare tire...well ...there was no spare tire.  These guys are unbelievable.  I guess that is what I get for not driving 2 hours once a month to keep tabls on the job.  I was too trusting from seeing the quality of some real classic they had restored.  There was a lot of turnover in the shop.

(8) And the last picture request is for the rear window seal.  I purchased a new one, had it shipped to the shop, it was received, and the shop foreman has no clue where it went.

Due to the 3 picture limit, I could not show pictures for the hood latch support area, header panel seal or hood-to-cowl area with the missing seal.  If someone could coach me on what I need to do to how more pictures.  Perhaps it is as simply as responding to someones response post.

Yeah...I feel like I was the dumb sheep that walked into the slaughter house and said..what's cooking.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alan87Bird

Reply #1
I should be able to get you pictures of those areas on my Thunderbird tonight or tomorrow.

As far as posting more than three pictures you need to create an account at a photo hosting website (flicker or photobucket are photo hosting websites) and then link the pictures to the page you are posting on.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Thank you, again, for you help.

I'll get setup with a photo hosting service to post some pics of the whole car.  Tomorrow is going to be a nasty weather day and not fit for taking good pictures.

Reply #3
I know just how you feel, Alan, about being took by somebody doing work for you. I'd have filed in small claims about my Thunderbird, but the *** that "worked" on my Thunderbird moved out of state and I would lose most of the money to lawyer fees to collect a long-arm judgment.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #4
That bites.  Sorry to hear you have had a similar experience, Scott.  I have the feeling the guy that owns this shop may be hiding out in a second residence in another state as well.

Reply #5
I'll get pictures tonight or tomorrow morning. I've been a little busy the last few days.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
These are from a Cougar but most of it should be the same.

X
X
X
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #7
3 more

X
X
X
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #8
Support bracket bolts to the header using a "speed nut". I think at the bottom it turns into a plate that presses flush against the front face of the lower radiator support and bolts to it. Can't remember how it looks exactly and can't see with the radiator/condenser in the way.

X
X
X

Reply #9
X

The weatherstripping on the header has a pretty specific cross-section. This is an old camera and I'm probably not doing a great job with the environment either. Let me know if you need a clearer picture of its cross section.

X

Reply #10
I'll grab a picture of the rear window seal when I get home later.

Reply #11
Quote from: ZondaC12;452124
These are from a Cougar but most of it should be the same.

X

Engine bay needs cleaning stat!

Reply #12
Unintentionally ended up on a dirt road for the second time since ripping the whole thing apart. Did go through it all the first time with some little dusters and brushes and made it nice again. Haven't felt like doing it again lol...over the winter I'll get bored one day for sure.

Reply #13
Here's the rear window seal and trunk latch.

Reply #14
Thank you, ZondaC12!

This is helpful.  So, rather than a striker plate, the hood latch is making up with the spring plate shown in your 4th picture.  And, the picture of the "A Pillar" trim piece (if that is the correct name) confirms the piece on my car is some aftermarket piece of aluminum.  Your picture provides good detail of the raised profile on the left most edge of the trim piece. 

Seeing how the header seal goes on the header helps tremendously.  With the replace seal part number provide by thunderjet302, I can correct this issue.

This is all good stuff and I am grateful for your help. :bowdown: