Skip to main content
Topic: 1979 Mercury Cougar XR7 (Read 4410 times) previous topic - next topic

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

hey im a new member on here just thought id share my cougar with everyone let me kno what u think
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1979 Mercury Cougar X R 7
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #2
Nice ride.I had a burgundy '79 XR-7 with all the options and a moonroof.Man that was a great car.I wish I had kept it.Fast....not really.Smooth riding and comfortable...YES.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #3
Nice.

Not a Fox, but nice.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #4
Hey it's a Cougar and that's all that is important! I like all generations of Thunderbrids and Cougars. Nice car! It's really more special now that you don't see them around anymore. I always liked those Turbine wheels. I like that the center caps are updated to the later model Grand Marquis style.

Back in 1984, I had a 1978 Ford LTD II with the sports touring package. It was two tone jade green metallic and I loved that car. It had a 351 V8, dak green vinyl comfort weave buckets seats with console, floor shifter and aluminum engine turned dash appliques. I went Camaro crazy at the time and sold the car so I could get a new 1985 Z28. The LTD II ended up being one of those cars I wish I still had while I could care less now about Camaros.

I just have a real passion for two door intermediate sized Fords of various model years.

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #5
when i lived in southern IL, a very good friend of mine had a 79 that was identical to your car with a 302. also, at that time i was driving a 77 ranchero with a 400. we made a helluva pair :hick:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #6
mine has the 351w,,its far from stock,,i am the second owner,, it has 134k origbuttstuff miles,,i bought it awile back and have done alot to it now we cant be seperated
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #7
More details and pics would be nice.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #8
what all do u wanna kno,,as far as motor goes
351w,lunati 292 cam and lifters,edelbrock heads,edelbrock 650cfm 4 barrel carb,soon to come are a set of ford blue "power by ford" valve covers,stage 1 shift kit in tranny,if u wanna kno anything else let me kno
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #9
We like the details.Can you post some interior and engine pics?

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #10
ill take some interior pics this evening,,and try to get them on here tonight
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #11
Nice car man, welcome! Weather its a Fox or not I think its pretty cool. Buddy of mine had a 77 Tbird when I was in High School and we enjoyed the hell out of that thing.

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #12
Where in TN are you? (If you don't mind me asking). Awesome Car too, I had a '79 tbird with the 351, what a beast....
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

1979 Mercury Cougar XR7

Reply #13
Another Royce (I've only met one or two others in my life!)

Always really dug late 70's Cougars & Birds. One of my girlfriends in high school ended up with a sweet '79 T-Bird right after we graduated. Silver (IIRC) exterior and grey leather interior...t-tops...and only 10,000 miles when she got it (was about 10 yrs. old then). I loved that car and told her how lucky she was.

She did not take care of it...tore it up...so sad.

Anyway - welcome, friend!