Skip to main content
Topic: FRPP Control arms (Read 1264 times) previous topic - next topic

FRPP Control arms

I'm thinking of getting the FMS-M-3075-D contol arms, but have a few questions.
1.  The ball joint- All I have to do is replace it with a Fox one, right?  Not looking to go 4 lug yet, I love my wheels too much.
2.  Spring cup- I read somewhere that it is deeper than stock.  I'm wondering if this would make my tires rub a little.  I have 225s on, and they rub a little in the hard corners, but I'm thinking the springs are worn out.  I have a new OEM spec set to throw in.  Don't want to solve one problem and create another.

Other than that, it would be a stock setup.  Not looking at any track use, just DD/ fun car.
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

FRPP Control arms

Reply #1
#1 - Yes
#2 - IDK... too many variables.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

FRPP Control arms

Reply #2
I machined the Fox spindles to accept the shorter ball joint, but you can just replace them.

You can use Energy poly spring isolators - they may give you back a little of the deeper spring cup. I changed springs when I switched to the "D" arms, so I can't tell you if there was much difference.

Here are the arms side by side:

See how I machined the spindle so the locknut would lock?
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

FRPP Control arms

Reply #3
Yeah, I saw your thread.  Thought it was cool, but I don't have the resources for that.
Thanks.
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

FRPP Control arms

Reply #4
Cougar5.0, you really trust that locking nut without some sort of safety wire or cotter pin??? Just curious

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

FRPP Control arms

Reply #5
SN95 Motorcraft ball joints come with a nylock nut.

SN95 inner tie rods got rid of the roll pin (thank goodness), but you don't see inner tie rods falling off...

FRPP Control arms

Reply #6
Thanks, yeah the deal was I had to machine enough off of the spindle to get the nylock to fully engage. I ended up machining off about 0.11" IIRC.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

FRPP Control arms

Reply #7
The cup on the "D" arms is approx 1/2" deeper. I was hoping it would lower the front end that 1/2" but I also used new spring isolators from Energy Suspension so the front end is at the same height it was before. I also installed new KYB struts and new sway bar bushings and end links. You may want to consider new bushings for the steering rack for the total package. Steers better than it did new. Let us know how it turns out.
Raleigh, NC.