Skip to main content
Topic: Finally got another bird (Read 1625 times) previous topic - next topic

Finally got another bird

While waiting to be able to go to VA to pick up the one I wanted, I saw another bird when I was in Nashville and the valve seals on the truck were getting so bad, I went ahead and traded for it, I had to pay more for it than the one I wanted was, but at least it's very low mileage and has a perfect body without one spot of rust. But as slow and poor handling as a 3.8 is, it's just making me want to get a 351 in it right away instead of waiting till I can afford it. At least it's a bird, unfortunately, the body is the only thing that can stay original when I build it. The other shame is that it would make somebody that doesn't care about performance a great car cause it does still run and drive like new. Maybe I'll be able to find a better starting point so I can keep this one like it is for a winter car. BTW, of the 14 t-birds I've had, this is the first 3.8, what should I expect for gas mileage if I use it for a winter and trip car?

Re: Finally got another bird

Reply #1
About the same (or slightly worse) than a stock 5.0 car. The 3.8 has virtually no fuel economy advantage over the 5.0 because it has to work harder to get (and keep) the car moving.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
Yeah I know a 3.8 won't get as good of mileage as a 5.0, I was just wondering how much worse as it is going to have to stay in there for a while due to money being so tight right now. That and I'm going to focus on the chassis before I swap in a 351. Anybody want to trade a 200,000 mile small block and tranny for a 62,000 mile 3.8 and tranny lol

Reply #3
Not a lot of difference - maybe 1-2 MPG at the most
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣