Skip to main content
Topic: can't figure out the problem. (Read 1840 times) previous topic - next topic

can't figure out the problem.

I can't figure out why it's backfiring when i give it gas.  makes like a pop noise after steping on the gas or pushing the throttle cable.  also does it when i start the car too.

Re: can't figure out the problem.

Reply #1
check your timing
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
i don't know why my timing would be wrong, i didn't even mess with it at all, ever since i've replaced my valve covers, i've ended up with problems.

Reply #3
do the new valve covers have pvc / air built into em?

btw,, you would not have happend to have drilled too far into that broken off valve cover screw would you?

just wondering what would happen if you had drilled into the intake runner humm'''

Reply #4
Replaced the valve covers HUH??? Get a couple of plug wires crossed???

Reply #5
What do you mean by pvc/ air built in it? As far as the broken valve screw, i didn't take it out yet, because the drill i haven't prolly wouldn't be powerful enough, so i'd have to get a better one. Plus, it's not leaking from that part, there are no signs of oil around that part, the oil is leaking near the header, I think it was because when my buddy put the T-bolt on, it wasn't on all the way??? i have no idea why he didn't tighten it. Also, i triple checked the plug wires, and they are all on where they are supposed to be, good thing i drew a diagram so i would know where the wires go. Also, my friend was messing with some screw on the throttle, i think it is an adjuster of some sort, but im wondering if that might be the problem? I have no clue, But im going to try to find the problem tommorrow. Thanks for the posts guys!

Reply #6
Quote from: 87tbird302
I can't figure out why it's backfiring when i give it gas.  makes like a pop noise after steping on the gas or pushing the throttle cable.  also does it when i start the car too.

Hey im having the same problem. I have had the timing checked and everything and still have not found out problem. i you find anything kepp me posted :sawzall:
88 sport 308 e-303, ported e7's, cobra intake, cold air, under drive pulleys, full exhaust, t5, 373's, smog pump removed, 255 pump, pressure regulator.
                        :birdsmily:

Reply #7
yea same thing man, im trying to narrow it down a little, because it didn't use to do it until such time.