Skip to main content
Topic: engine running too cool *solved- installed non failsafe tstat (Read 17328 times) previous topic - next topic

engine running too cool *solved- installed non failsafe tstat

Reply #90
Only 22 mpg highway? I regularly get 23-24 mpg out of my Thunderbird cruising at 75mph. That's with a non-lockup converter and 3.73 gears.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #91
Exactly.

I haven't been super careful checking mileage as the odometer is off due to over sized tires and the gas guage doesn't work at all, so I've been guesstimating with the trip computer I added and found it to be very innacurate. I also need to redo the gas tank seals. When I broke the sending unit and got two bad fuel pumps in a row, I just threw it back together as quick as I could. It was raining and I was laying in gravel with glass shards on the side of the road and I was not in a good mood when it died on me. I also figured it would only be a few days and I'd slap another fuel sender in, but I haven't been able to source one locally. As long as the tank isn't full it doesn't leak, again making mileage almost impossible to calculate accurately.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #92
Well I can say mine hasn't burned a drop of gas in -- uuuhhhh, almost three years...

When it ran it'd do low 26 at 60ish and 25 at 65-70... Lockup converter & 3.73...