Skip to main content
Topic: Pretty sure....... (Read 15397 times) previous topic - next topic

Pretty sure.......

Reply #30
Quote from: V8Demon;449640

Also; anyone got any NICE valve covers that they're willing to part with?  Something not stock?  Mine are.......MEH.....

Too bad these won't work: http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/gcvrs.html
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Pretty sure.......

Reply #31
Welp..... time to shoot the lock off the wallet....

-- New Milodon oil pump (High Volume/High Pressure --- With Melling you have to choose on or the other) and ARP pump shaft
 -- Cometic Head Gasket set. 
 -- Engine gasket set
 -- Head bolts

Already have a 7 quart pan and pickup. 
Going with a new intake manifold as well.  Edelbrock.  The Trick Flow will be for sale.

Now I need to make a decision on lifters...... I don't want to reuse my current ones even though they are low miles.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Pretty sure.......

Reply #32
Quote from: V8Demon;450661
Welp..... time to shoot the lock off the wallet....

-- New Milodon oil pump (High Volume/High Pressure --- With Melling you have to choose on or the other) and ARP pump shaft
 -- Cometic Head Gasket set. 
 -- Engine gasket set
 -- Head bolts

Already have a 7 quart pan and pickup. 
Going with a new intake manifold as well.  Edelbrock.  The Trick Flow will be for sale.

Now I need to make a decision on lifters...... I don't want to reuse my current ones even though they are low miles.....

Sounds like a plan. Which Edelbrock intake are you going with? I'm guessing the Performer RPM II? It would probably work great for you. I've been very happy thus far with the Performer RPM I I'm running on my car. I haven't run it at the track yet but SOTP I notice no difference down low vs the GT40 I was running but it definitely pulls much better at high rpm. Passing power on the highway is much better than with the GT40.

As far as lifters I've heard good things about Morel lifters. I've been running Crane lifters without issue for years. I can say they are good as well.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Pretty sure.......

Reply #33
Yeah, it's a II.... A buddy has one.  The price was right.  The price tag on the Morels is high.  $900+ for a set...
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Pretty sure.......

Reply #34
Quote from: V8Demon;450679
Yeah, it's a II.... A buddy has one.  The price was right.  The price tag on the Morels is high.  $900+ for a set...

Ouch that much? I'd just get a set from Comp or Crane and be done with it. The RPM II is pretty much equivalent to a Systemax so it should run well.

Pretty sure.......

Reply #35
Just an update.  The old block is STILL in the car, still running and still holding decent oil pressure. 

Fun fact:  An engine running too hot will screw with the oil and make it useless at high temps......
On a 50 degree day a while back I had the car running for about 20 minutes.  The coolant temp on the driver side of the radiator would not go anywhere above 135 degrees.  This was confirmed with a thermometer that was known good and accurate with the radiator cap off.  For the heck of it, I decided to replace the thermostat with a Mr. Gasket 180 degree unit.  I checked it before installing.  Started opening @ 180 and was full open @ 184.  Tested twice.

After swapping the old one out I tested THAT as well.  It's also a 180 degree piece.  It did not start to open until 200 degrees on the nose and never fully opened.  It stopped at about 1/3 of the way in boiling water.  I walked away for 15 minutes with the water boiling to see if it would open over time.  Nope.  Still at 1/3.  Enough for some flow apparently, but not enough to remove the heat from the motor itself which would become stupid hot.  I've taken the car on a few trips since with some WOT shenanigans.  No signs of oil pressure issues.  Temp readout on the digi dash is consistently reading low/1 bar.  Confirmed the issue is the dash.  I have a spare unit in better shape than the one original to the car.  It is 100% functional.  It's going in once it warms back up.  Getting the other block all set up next month as well.  At least I can drive it up till when I do the swap without worry now.

Pretty sure.......

Reply #36
How hot was the car running? I've got a Stant Superstat 180* thermostat in my Thunderbird with a two row (2 1" tubes) aluminum radiator. The engine runs between 185*-195* in all weather conditions. Radiator outlet temps are usually around 30* or so lower than inlet temperatures. The only issue I've had is in cool weather (50*-60* ambient temperatures) the engine won't get much above 180* or so.

Since you're in no rush to swap engines is it 347 time now? ;)

Pretty sure.......

Reply #37
I could not put my hand on the valve cover.  Pulling the dipstick to check the oil revealed something akin to the same temperatures as molten lava.  Seriously, never seen oil get that hot.

Pretty sure.......

Reply #38
Quote from: V8Demon;453913
I could not put my hand on the valve cover.  Pulling the dipstick to check the oil revealed something akin to the same temperatures as molten lava.  Seriously, never seen oil get that hot.

I can't hold my hand on the valve covers on either my Thunderbird or Mark VII after they have been run for awhile. They are at least 180* or so, you know engine temp. I make it a habit to not touch hot engines ;).

Pretty sure.......

Reply #39
Assuming no oil cooler, hot day, A/C on, heavy load(or foot), highway speeds etc, oil temp will easily climb to 230* or higher...

I burned a blister on my finger by touching lower section(just above oil level) of dipstick when handle was cold... This was with my Lightning at a rest stop, ambient temp around 35F... Had been running 75-80 mph and it had the factory 4.10 gear...

And as for holding your hand on a 180* valve cover, Ill pay anyone that can legitimately demonstrate this feat for 10 seconds $50... You'll have to pay your own Dr bill if you try it...

Pretty sure.......

Reply #40
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;453922
And as for holding your hand on a 180* valve cover, Ill pay anyone that can legitimately demonstrate this feat for 10 seconds $50... You'll have to pay your own Dr bill if you try it...

You're not referring to me correct? I said I couldn't do it :hick:

Pretty sure.......

Reply #41
My friend's 1990 Corvette has an oil temp gauge and that's always read a lot higher than the coolant temp. Definitely over 200. It used to confuse me, I'd ride in the car, look over at this plethora of gauges and for some reason bullseye on that one "Holy shiznit dude why's this running so hot!!???" :rollin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Pretty sure.......

Reply #42
Weird. I always thought oil temps should be close to the same as coolant.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Pretty sure.......

Reply #43
Quote from: thunderjet302;453927
You're not referring to me correct? I said I couldn't do it :hick:

Correct...

Back in the day I used to pull Horiz output tubes from Color TV that were around 350*F, had a heck of a callus on thumb and finger built up... Still that was for a couple seconds at most, wouldn't try it now on a bet...

I pulled one and set it down and some kid maybe 16 trying to impress his girlfriend grabbed it, went straight in the air... I yelled if it busts you owe me $8.50!!! He managed to juggle it around like the proverbial hot potato and set it back in place... His friends were about to split a gut, he didn't say a word...

Pretty sure.......

Reply #44
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;453922
Assuming no oil cooler, hot day, A/C on, heavy load(or foot), highway speeds etc, oil temp will easily climb to 230* or higher...

I burned a blister on my finger by touching lower section(just above oil level) of dipstick when handle was cold... This was with my Lightning at a rest stop, ambient temp around 35F... Had been running 75-80 mph and it had the factory 4.10 gear...

Sitting in my driveway at idle for 5 minutes on a 50 degree day.  The difference is readily apparent after the swap of the thermostat.  It's still hot of course, but if I bump into it, no biggie.  It's back to where I remembered it being before any issues....

More pressing issue right now is replacing the radio/GPS unit in the Dodge Nitro.  Went aftermarket due to the stock ones being absolute garbage and overpriced.  The original unit has been doing wonky things for about a year and research has shown ZERO parts diagrams.  I'm of the opinion that a capacitor has blown on the PC board inside it.  Gonna put the new one in Monday along with a wiring harness to retain the steering wheel controls.  Shouldn't take me but 2 hours, but I'll set aside 6 or so just in case some unforeseen.