Skip to main content
Topic: Thick gray/blueish smoke....New pics (Read 18570 times) previous topic - next topic

Thick gray/blueish smoke....New pics

Reply #30
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;445844
Yeah but you car isn't a daily driver either... I'm of the thought anything more than .525-ish is giving the valve train a beating so would stay under that figure for a EVERY DAY driver, your cam would be the limit... In a weekend warrior that probably doesn't see 5K a year, it's a great choice...

I think as long as you have good springs it should be fine. I've always been more concerned with duration vs. lift as far as driveability goes.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #31
Quote from: vinnietbird;445848
By th way, Tom.... I'm going to pull the pCV, cover the hole with a cloth and give it hit the road home today. I'll give it a little shakedown and see if it smokes after that. I'll inform you of those results after I get home this evening.

The whole theory here is it building pressure in the crankcase blowing oil by the rings which is causing the majority of the smoke, leave it open let it breathe... If it doesn't smoke as badly then the rings are no doubt the problem...

Can also run it a quart to quart and a half low on oil with out any harm, if open breather cuts smoke, a little low on oil should help even more...

Reply #32
Quote from: jcassity;445835
wonder If the lob separation isn't the issue, been reading your thread.
seems your setup takes out some compression ,, fuel not done burning before hits able to the tail pipe?

I agree that lift Is very generous

Gotta agree with this. The lsa could be the issue. Efi likes to see around 114 to be happy. Below that it's tune time. Cylinder wash down could have taken then rings.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #33
O.K., just got home.

Tom.....I pulled the PCV from the intake and let the tube hang.....Covered the hole with an old cloth, and took off. Not as much smoke on the way home when I nailed the accelerator, but, smoke none the less. Also had some oil on the cloth that covered the hole. The color of the oil on the cloth was a bit odd, and, still have some moisture on the dipstick and a little bit of milky  on the very tip of the dipstick. Sunday, before I added new oil, but after the head gasket swap, I used some motor flush and then drained it, then added new oil and filter. May be some residual  in the engine. Hoping there's not a sealing issue between the intake and heads or heads and block. Won't know til I pull the motor apart eventually.

In the post above this one, the term "cylinder wash down" was used. I've actually never heard that before. Define that and what causes it. I'm guessing too much fuel in the cylinders.

Trying to prevent any issues with the replacement engine.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #34
White smoke is usually coolant, gray smoke is usually oil, and black smoke is usually too much fuel.  If you are getting cylinder wash down then the oil in the pan should smell of gasoline.  This is not good as it reduces the lubricating value of the oil in the cylinder(s) it is occurring.  No matter what you have issues with blow by with the amount of air coming out of the oil fill neck.  It will only take one cylinder with bad rings to make it puff smoke seeing how you have an X pipe on the exhaust.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #35
It's a lot of gray smoke. I just did the oil smell test with the dipstick....oil is clear, no fuel smell, although, it's hard to explain, but a faint burnt smell. There's some of that milky stuff on the very end of the dipstick. I'm thinking it's residual junk in the engine.

I', going to pull the plugs and check them tomorrow and see if they look different. They were black and smelled of fuel. Since the gasket swap, not sure, but I'll know tomorrow.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #36
Quote from: jandmmustangs;445873
Gotta agree with this. The lsa could be the issue. Efi likes to see around 114 to be happy. Below that it's tune time. Cylinder wash down could have taken then rings.

That's more of an SD issue than just EFI in general.  Many aftermarket cams are in fact around the 111-112 range and there are plenty of people out there running them without retuning and zero issues.  If it is indeed a cylinder wash issue I think it would be more attributed to an injector/MAF combo not being ideal or perhaps not being able to compensate for whatever reason(mismatched metering tube/air disruption before the MAF/etc). 

Ed asks a LOT of questions on his cam build spec sheet.  If you have all the specs, and you know what you want from the car, the bumpstick he sends you will work.  If he recommends different springs/locks/retainers use what is recommended.  Valve float is a bitch.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #37
Seemed like Vinnie gad an issue before...running a bit rich or something, no? Or was that someone else?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #38
Ed asked me a  ton of questions. He said all I needed were shims for the springs. Super thin, but it's what he said I needed, so, they are there now. I ordered rings and bearings last night, then all I need are a new water pump and new timing cover. I might as well swap the water pump too, and the timing cover.....well, I'm getting a new one because I want the engine to look new as well as perform like new.

Reply #39
Hey Vinnie did you cut the pistons for the 185's, If you did how?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #40
Is there an update on this?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #41
Update....my replacement shortblock is on the stand. new rings and bearings, new water pump and timing cover, new clutch and flywheel, new seals and gaskets.....I'll install the heads, cam, and intake from the current engine.

Yesterday I started pulling the engine apart in the Sport to ready the car for the swap. I only had an hour, but managed to get the following off....

radiator, hoses, alternator, alternator bracket, balancer, upper and lower intake, distributor, spark plugs, lifters, rockers and pushrods.

The number 7 plug was covered in oil, the rest were tolerable in appearance. As  weather allows this week, I'll try to get the tans and drive shaft pulled, as well as the clutch and bell housing.....and X-Pipe.  May also try to get the cam and heads off as well and on the replacement engine. I'm just doing what I can, when I can. The Sport will be down for the week. Hopefully done this weekend. One day at a time.

Every freakin dollar I get for the car has gone back into fixing it. Too much wasted, so, dropping in my extra engine in the Sport and calling it a day. Once the old engine is out and on the stand, I'll tear into it. the rings are probably , and the bearings probably are too. Saw some silvery stuff in the oil. I'm betting from the bearings.  After the heads are paid for, and things are back in order, I may go ahead and rebuild the  engine into a 347 next year. We'll see.

Reply #42
I'm still curios about how you fly cutted the pistons for the 185's?

Reply #43
Some have had luck with clearing the stock pistons with the AFR 185's. Only way to know is to clay the motor with a set of solid roller lifters.  You can tack weld an old set of hydraulic roller lifters to convert them for this task and measuring push rod lengths.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #44
Quote from: Aerocoupe;447176
Some have had luck with clearing the stock pistons with the AFR 185's. Only way to know is to clay the motor with a set of solid roller lifters.  You can tack weld an old set of hydraulic roller lifters to convert them for this task and measuring push rod lengths.

Darren

Hey Darren long ago vinnie fly cut the current motor, Thats why I'm asking. I may be off here, but I'm wondering if some grindings ended where they should of not.