Skip to main content
Topic: low end power disappeared? (Read 19682 times) previous topic - next topic

low end power disappeared?

Reply #30
That is a given but he did not do the work. Really it looks by the compression test he is on the money. And ignition timing as he claims is @ or around 14* BTDC. BUT he did not do a TTDC test. That is required in my view and mandatory especially on Ford engines
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #31
He should be able to keep advancing the timing, maybe it will improve. It's a real possibility that the cam is off from not checking tdc.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #32
Not really his compression numbers are good.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #33
It's a lack of fuel fellas. Still running SO fuel pump and only has 19# injectors. The massive increase in air flow and speed density set up is confusing the PCM. It doesn't know how much fuel to squirt. Replace the fuel pump, injectors, and convert to mass air. Then hold on to your hat!

Reply #34
Must be running out of fuel at idle.

When i did the fuel pump in my buddies tbird, it was always kinda soft from a stop. After a fuel filter and new pump it would chirp for a second on a hard stomp, but felt the same everywhere else. It still doesn't make sense to me though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #35
X

Process of elimination. Timing will also give the same problem.

Check timing, it's either in or out. If in, move on, and up the fuel flow if need be.

His car has an EEC, not a PCM. ;) (Though by the technical function, it's one and the same in regards to OP's issues here).
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #36
ECM, PCM, EEC...... All just different names for the same part. It's the "brain" of the engine. I caught that mistake after I had posted. I had thought he had already checked the timing. I don't feel that cam timing is the issue. I could be wrong, but that's just me. I suppose it could be a tooth off.....

Reply #37
Greetings from sunny SCAL.  Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.  When I get back home I will do the following in order:

1) check the timing (advance if under 14 BTDC)  and test
2) install the 155 L/H  pump and test
3) be on the lookout for a set of 24# injectors

I have an A9P ECU because I was antiting the mass air conversion.  Just was hoping I could enjoy my car for a while before having to buy MORE parts. 
I also have a stock 19# MAF sensor in a 70mm can.  Will that work or do I need to find a 24# sensor now?
'88 Bird 5.0, TW 170s, HO cam, Scorpion rockers, Explorer intake 70mm TB/EGR, MAF conversion, 24# injectors, 8.8 3.73 disc rear end swap, console swap, leather seats, 11" front discs, 15-1 rack, TC springs all around, x-pipe, BBK headers,  welded sub-frame, unlocked digital speedo.

Reply #38
You'll NEED the mass meter to be calibrated for the injectors you'll use...so yes, a different mass meter will be required. Or you could get one of those things (not sure what they're called) that allow you to run dis-similar parts...but myself, I'd rather get the right parts and leave the trickery out of it ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #39
Ok Stand alone and finished done solved and totally tunable Speed density and install 24  Squirters . Then post back. Stop dicking around with the ford ECM it sucks

Reply #41
Tom, if that is your response to the PM I sent you, than thank you. I can now investigate a little further into this. Some of it is a little above my head, which worries me. I think their sales people can help me out. It appears to be a little more cost effective than a MAF conversion. After our disagreements in the past, I hope we can build some sort of friendship.

OP, you already have a ECM for a MAF conversion, so I don't know if that link will help much as far as $ goes. Sorry for the hyjack! I hope you find the issue soon. I don't know if I got my point across earlier, an HO cam should NEVER be a point of concern. They are never overkill, and certainly will not kill power compared to anything smaller.

Reply #42
Yep, HO cams are pretty hard to beat, until you've got enough flow capability in the heads that the cam is the limiting factor, as to what exactly that limit is will take someone more knowledgeable than myself. But the average combo with GT40 heads, Cobra/Explorer and 24's with a mass air swap, an HO cam will be friendly to drive, give plenty of power, and best of all, depending on the engine you start with it may already be in there.

Then there's the E cam, which is almost as loved, and another good one is a TFS-1 cam...beyond those, I'd probably save my piggy bank for a set of aluminum aftermarket heads and a custom ground cam if you're going to get serious about power.

As for Tom's comment about the Ford EEC's being shiznit, 50 million Mustang owners will call bullshiznit. Myself included.

Lots of guys making 400 horsepower or more with tuned combos using stock (but chipped) EECs. Buddy of mine has a '95 GTS with probably close to 400 horse...and it runs hard, real hard. Has a procharger, intercooled. E7 heads, HO cam.

But I guess it's slow junk because it's got a stock EEC... LOL.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #43
Most  aftermarket sd tuners are based on oem sd programming. When i spoke with fast about an efi system we used on a 2.3 turbo sandrail, he said the programming was almost identical to a batch fire ford system with the emissions equipment turned off.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #44
Wow!...... forum first!..... Although I agree with Thunderbirdsport 302 100%, I must clarify my issues with that. Tom has the right idea. Factory Ford EEC has plenty ability to do what is mentioned, but try to find one new. With old equipment, you don't know what you are getting. I have been looking at a check engine light for several years on my truck just due to an ECM glitch. The system that Tom had mentioned appears to me to be more cost effective than a MAF conversion. Almost half the price. I also believe that an aftermarket ECM is needed to go beyond that 400 HP mark. Most of us here on this forum will never see HP ratings that high, but there you go. I also must mention that the bottom end MUST be reinforced to go any further than that.

Tom, thanks once again.

OP, once again, sorry for the diversion.