Skip to main content
Topic: Time for some new ignition wires (Read 14735 times) previous topic - next topic

Time for some new ignition wires

Reply #75
I know that is why i saved a bunch of them. Only other way is stand alone and that works. Have a good day guys'
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #76
Quote from: Seek;440678
Yep - everyone seems to love the stock Motorcraft unit. All you can do now days is rebuild one - no new old stock complete distributors to be found. PIP and TFI are available new though.

Just for fun I swapped between a stock 134K mile 27 year old factory Motorcraft coil and a MSD coil last time I was at the track. The car ran identical times with either coil.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #77
I had a similar issue on my first 86 when i was 16 that i forgot all about until you fixed yours. Car drove fine but had a bad miss about 2500rpm's. I just kept it below 2500 until one day my battery died while i was driving. Got a jump at 3 am in the morning. My stock coil was rusted out and leaking black goop. It was shooting spark off of the sides of the coil to the body and wiring. It blew my fuseable links which is why my battery died while driving that night.afterwards the car ran very well and consistently would hit 30mpg freeway.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #78
IMO adding an MSD ignition and coil (or any other aftermarket brand) to a stock Fox car is a waste of money unless you need a rev limiter.  These motors don't have high enough compression and wind up RPM wise high enough to take advantage of anything they offer.  You start adding compression, rpm, and better air flow then you can take advantage of the higher voltage spark and longer spark time in the combustion chamber.  If you are running nitrous or boost then the stock ignition on these older cars should be upgraded as you are basically adding compression and better air flow.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #79
I run a stock setup and rev the hell out of my car and have tuns of BOOST with no issues whatsoever. All this hype over these designer ignition systems ar Bull, shiznit in my view. And if you run a stand alone and LS truck coils case closed on that setup. nothing beats it. As far as coil output the stock Ford closed box coil can deliver well over 50K and i have a cylinder  scope to prove it can. Nothing wrong with a stock system.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #80
50,000volts?

I thought the oem stock was around 18 or 19k?