Skip to main content
Topic: Rocker adjustment.... (Read 26437 times) previous topic - next topic

Rocker adjustment....

For the first time in my life, I have stud mount roller rockers. I feel like they are not adjusted right. My method is as follows....

1-To adjust the intake rocker....Just as the exhaust valve starts to open, I set the intake to zero lash, then turn the nut 1/2 turn and lock it down.

2- To adjust the exhaust rocker....After adjusting the intake side, I allow the intake valve to go full open, then, when it's almost closed, zero lash on the exhaust side, 1/2 turn for the nut, lock it down.

Then repeat the whole process until the whole engine is done. I've actually seen three different ways to adjust them. What is the best way?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #1
Hey when i had my stang with adjustable rockers i adjusted them, just like a small block chevy. back off till clatters, tighten till clatter stops, then another 1/4 turn. it ran awesome and never gave me problems.
shad.

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #2
Vin, a good explanation is here: http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=317.0

Sounds like you are doing it correctly. 

Are you sure your pushrod length is correct?

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/Verifying%20Pushrod%20Length%20And%20Rocker%20Arm%20Geometry.pdf
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #3
Sounds like you are doing it correctly. Why are you concerned that you are not?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #4
I'm concerned because I get a "pop" every once in a while through the throttle body, I've adjusted the timing like crazy, can't go much over 12 degrees without having it run like total , and at 12 to 14, the plugs look perfect. Upon starting, the car wants to run for a second then die. Restart it....dies...get it running, and it'll die when i come to a stop. Dang. Maybe it's the ignition module or something. Not sure.I did the base idle re-set and even set the TPS at .970 (I have read that anywhere from .750 to .990 are acceptable). New plug wires in great shape. No vacuum leaks. Push rods are what Trick Flow sent. 6.750. I also have a set of 6.700 .

I did the rockers the first time a different way. A video I watched showed this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8G3vpdIZpY&list=FLnmh9ODrU6MdwW8F8wZnDWQ&index=3

When I did them this way, I will admit I had less chatter from them. Not sure which way to go. The car ran pretty good today, timing at 12. Idle at 900. Open to suggestions.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #5
Only other things I can think of that would cause the popping would be a vacuum leak, intake manifold gasket leak, or the cam timing in relation to the crank being off. If the rockers are adjusted correctly and the pushrods the correct length than you may have to look some where else for the problem. You should be able to run more than 12* base timing with your combo.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #6
Hey Thunderjet, did you check the video? What do you think about how he adjusted the exhaust rocker?

I'm thinking the same thing about being able to run more timing. I'm working tomorrow then off the weekend. I'll grab some carb cleaner and spray around a bit to see if there's a vacuum leak I've never found. I am going to re-adjust the rockers ONE more time just for piece of mind, and, the extra learning experience of doing them over and over. LOL. I'd LOVE to find an exhaust leak.....even intake related. That's no big deal. It's not fixing the problem that bugs me, it's finding it that does. LOL.

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #7
Quote from: vinnietbird;439191
Hey Thunderjet, did you check the video? What do you think about how he adjusted the exhaust rocker?

I'm thinking the same thing about being able to run more timing. I'm working tomorrow then off the weekend. I'll grab some carb cleaner and spray around a bit to see if there's a vacuum leak I've never found. I am going to re-adjust the rockers ONE more time just for piece of mind, and, the extra learning experience of doing them over and over. LOL. I'd LOVE to find an exhaust leak.....even intake related. That's no big deal. It's not fixing the problem that bugs me, it's finding it that does. LOL.

Looks fine to me. I always adjust rockers the same way.

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #8
Did you see that the exhaust rocker was adjusted differently that the way I stated I did mine?

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #9
Yep. It should be fine. As long as your cam doesn't have a stupid amount of overlap when the intake valve is starting to open the exhaust valve is shut. Check with the person who made your cam/the cam card to see how much over lap there is. The exhaust valve doesn't care where the intake valve is (just opening, just closing). As long as the valve you are adjusting is completely shut you're fine.

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #10
Vinnie here is the procedure and i use it all the time

EXHAUST OPEN ADJUST INTAKE
INTAKE CLOSED ADJUST EXHAUST

Here is how to memorize it. By the way on our race car i mounted a bump button in the center of the cowel to bump the starter to adjust easily. Sometimes i have 2 buttons permanently mounted for each side one Pass and one on the  Drivers

EXHAUST OPEN INTAKE INTAKE CLOSED EXHAUST

Then add an additional 1/4-1/2 turn then lock it up
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #11
actually that sums it up ...
the pushrod / lifter spends most of its time on the base circle anyway.,, pretty much anywhere the lifter is on the base circle will be good.

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #12
Thanks guys.

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #13
I readjusted the rockers yesterday, only had time to drive it around the block. I'll know more on the way to work this morning. It has had an issue of dying right after I start it, then I have to restart it a couple of times before it'll stay running. I wonder if the ignition module could cause that.

I may need to do a base idle reset AGAIN and check the TPS voltage as well. I do know I can't get the timing away from 12 to 13 degrees without bad issues in drivability. I'll update the results from the drive to work once I get home this evening. Maybe it's alright. High hopes.

Rocker adjustment....

Reply #14
When I drive the car, there seems to be a little ....."surging" while driving. Not sure how to explain it, but I can feel surging/missing/ whatever I can describe it as. Plugs all looked great, plug wires look great. As I stated in the post above, I might need to swap the ignition module. Can't hurt. I'll do one "fix" at a time until I narrow down the issue.