Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade (Read 24773 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #15
Just a thought here in case these fittings would be an option for anyone wanting to adapt from AN fittings to the injection fuel rails (they are black and about half way down the page):

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/adapt_fit/fuel-efi.shtml

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #16
Hey Jerry I got some of the things you need, let me know. some mass air stuff to.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #17
daminc, I did a swap similar to this about a year ago on my 85(3.8 to 5.0). To be able to use the ’96 Explorer fuel rails, I used the fuel lines coming off the rail and used Dorman fuel line connectors PN# 800-130 & 800-131, they are listed for a 1996 Ford Explorer 5.0, and attached them to the stock CFI fuel lines as shown below.
X

Also here is where the lines meet the fuel rail.
XX

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #18
Quote from: jcassity;418614
the exporer fuel rails source and return both dump down along the rear of the engine,, thats a perfect match to "about" where your screw on CFI lines stop.

the fox body sefi fuel rails all come in up front on the pass side engine bay,,
what im saying is that your car/chassis design is compatable with the explorer fuel rail design ~less the connectivity and figuring that out.

your green top injectors you have now (thats what you should have) are 34lb / hr high resistance. 
The 5.0CFI came with blue top 54lb high resistance injectors and a much larger air tunnel ports and trottle plates.
simply install your green top injectors into the 5.0 CFI and you move more air.  you will notice that the v6 cfi air tunnel ports dont match the much larger EGR spacer plate.
The 5.0 CFI air tunnel matches up perfectly.

The CFI splits in half via 4 phillups screws from the bottom... basically the 5.0 lower half cfi has the larger air tunnes as compared to your v6 CFI lower half.
i highly recommend a speed handle and an apex tip phillups bit,, these screws are a  to get out due to they corrode.

one good and basic reason for lack of power right off the top of my head is...........
--- remove cfi 4 nuts and linkages ect
---the rear gold looking drivers side vac line fitting will likely be carbon clogged once you flip the cfi over and see the problem, chip away all the stuff that doesnt belong.

---the hesitation you feel when flooring the gas is a gas flow problem.
---remove the injector screens and vula, no more hesitation... i and others chased this issue down for months and most of us having no codes or no problems with our engines,, of course im on a very small team of people who tried it and liked it.  shiznit can the screens, they are a restriction for the small motor,, thats what your fuel filter is for.

Scott, I'm gonna check the carbon buildup, and injector screens this week....
you know I don't have a V6 CFI, right, your confusing me a bit with the V6 and V8 info...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #19
awesome... I see now why to use the explorer rails... thanks for the help and the links everyone...

Kitz, I'll be in contact after I see what I'm missing for this swap.... I guess I'll be looking for an Explorer fuel rail next.... anybody got one kicking around
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #20
I wonder if Scott is keeping his off his new explorer motor? sorry for the bad info, I thought 83-85.5.0 were all the same.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #21
I found an Explorer fuel rail already.... or I should say, it found me this afternoon... lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #23
:burnout:good info guys!!  I enjoyed the info and pictures on retrofitting.  Keeps my wheels turning

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #24
ok back to this upgrade.... I'm making a list of parts to swap for this. I'd like to make this a complete list for future reading.... let me know what I'm missing in my list and I will update it

parts needed to swap 302 CFI to SEFI

lower intake
upper intake
throttle body
injectors
fuel rail from an explorer
distributer
wiring harness and computer
throttle cable
Aod tv cable
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #25
If you are going SEFI with a Mustang computer (you would have to if you go MAF) than you would also need a HO firing order cam. If you have a Thunderbird/Cougar SD computer than you could stay SD and stick with the cam you have. If you're that far into it you might as well stick a HO cam in. If you go with a roller cam make sure you use the proper gear for a roller cam on the distributor.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #26
I'm not planning on going that far with this motor.I don't know the first thing about installing a cam or anything else in it. I would build another while I kept this one on the road. I drove this car 20 miles since last year, and if you ever drove a cougar vert, you learn that going fast is not the safest thing to do..... I cant even imagine how that thing would fold up without having a roof on it, if it was in any kind of accident.

I got all SD stuff already from before I upgraded my 87
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #27
...Old thread, but I feel I should point this out.  A newer style distributor is going to have a hardened steel gear on the end.  These are intended to be used with roller camshafts.  Use of them on a non-roller cam will cause issues....you know.....turning your camshaft gear into metal shavings that will show up in your oil pan and pump pickup screen.  The non-roller distributors have a cast iron gear.

In 1985 the manual transmission 5.0 equipped Mustang was the only Ford product to have the steel gear.  If it had a manual trans in it it had a carb on top as well in 1985. All other 5.0 equipped cars got the swap to the steel gear in later years as the swap to roller cams was made.  If you're gonna keep the stock camshaft, I suppose you could swap a cast gear onto a newer distributor.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #28
I wanted to find this very thread last summer doing my sons build,, I asked the question and there wasn't much popular concern about it... I knew we had this discussion a while back.

we ended up using an HO roller cam against his oem 88 bird dizzy.
see any issues with that?

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #29
Quote from: jcassity;429731
we ended up using an HO roller cam against his oem 88 bird dizzy.
see any issues with that?

Nope...

As far as swapping gears it sounds simple but I've read there isn't a actual location for the hole... In other words the gear is pressed on, hole drilled then pin inserted... A pirated gear from another dist may have the hole too high or low for your dist. plus they are not always on center, so pin won't fit at all...