Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade (Read 24768 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #120
this resurrects a very old thread I did  near 10 years ago.

I asked the question "does the injector pulse width modulation happen during the "TIME" the metal vane is in front of the pip" or " do the injectors pulse fuel during the open window".

Thundechicken answered and I cant recall , and would have to work very hard to sort by threads by me to find the answer he posted.

it was back during one of my so called brilliant ideas I was having about "forcing" injector s to stay open just a tad longer by machining "off" material on the vane.

this plays out to softtouch and tc50 and which side of the vane gets metal removed ,, as in the direction the dizzy turns naturally.

I think I was told back then that the metal width of each vane kept the injector "on" and the open window kept it off.,,, yet that made no sense when you look at SEFI vanes.,,, that would mean cyl 1 runs  LEAN all the time.

in my mind Im over here (at that time) thinking why not machine off .001 off every vane keeping the injectors on just a tad longer.

again I cant recall which way it goes so ..... I didn't really offer any help, and hope I didn't confuse anyone again.

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #121
In a way the vane has zero to do with the injector opening, it's function is create the ignition pulse that happens when the window opens... EEC then pulses injector approx 180* later for the NEXT power stroke... The pulse width is timed by engine temp, throttle opening, amount of air flow(mass air), or vacuum to MAP(SD) and voltage feed back from o2 sensors... Nothing you can do to the distributor is really going to change this...

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #122
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;445987
Yeah the HO order fixed it alright, now are four wires Ford has routed away from each other...

Oh shiznit

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #123
Quote from: softtouch;445991
Oh shiznit

:giggle:

I'd always known 5 & 6 should be routed away from each other, the sticker on the F150 was first I'd seen about 1 & 3... I suspect that's more of a reminder as most aren't likely to parallel those two anyway...

Still I suspect the quality of the wires play a large part, guessing the newer spiral wound wires don't have this issue...

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #124
Way back in the old days, You wanted to cross the wires. I'm old now so I can't remember why!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +